Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 PM

255 posts, read 414,323 times

Advertisements

Over the next 10-15 years, which parts of Porter County will see the most growth? Will the unincorporated township areas continue to sprawl? Will the population (now at 167,000) grow to 185,000 or more/less? Will some areas become less desirable while others more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 09:31 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Over the next 10-15 years, which parts of Porter County will see the most growth? Will the unincorporated township areas continue to sprawl? Will the population (now at 167,000) grow to 185,000 or more/less? Will some areas become less desirable while others more?
I expect very small rates of growth, more on the order of 175,000. Population is aging at a faster rate in the county, and less retention of younger people due to stagnant economy as well as longer commutes to other areas.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Seems like it's all about how many people will move to NW IN from Illinois and Michigan due to lower property taxes and more business friendly laws. Can NWI become more of a job hub so the commute to CHI isn't a deterrent? I was impressed at some of the retail developments at former brown field sites off I-80.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seems like it's all about how many people will move to NW IN from Illinois and Michigan due to lower property taxes and more business friendly laws. Can NWI become more of a job hub so the commute to CHI isn't a deterrent? I was impressed at some of the retail developments at former brown field sites off I-80.
This!

I grew up in Lake County and there isn't much going on within the county itself (same with Porter). People say Lake County has grown, but the total population has been flat for the past few decades. To the extent that certain towns like Dyer have grown, it has largely been people leaving the IL side of the area. It's not like there is an abundance of high-paying jobs luring the best and brightest to Lake County; I doubt Porter is much different.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:50 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I don't see these places becoming anything more than exurbs of Chicago.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't see these places becoming anything more than exurbs of Chicago.
Porter county is mostly rural/small town on the eastern 1/2 with the western 1/2 being more small city, suburban, and exurban. I don't expect that to change that much. Also, there has been a good number of people that haven't been pleased about the new hospital in Valpo north of the city and its ratings aren't great.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
The interesting thing about NWI is that it has the potential to make Chicagoland more of a multi-nodal metro area, with NWI becoming more of an independent player in the regional economy. However, the legislators in Indianapolis are all about Indy and there is a big stigma attached to NWI still. NWI could be so much more than it is. It has huge logistical advantages being so close to Chicago, and huge tax advantages being located in Indiana. But Indianapolis is not interested in developing the economy in this region which is a shame because NWI has the most potential of anywhere in the state, IMO. But without NWI's economy taking off more, its growth will be strictly tied to people fleeing IL, with will result in continued modest growth. Now, if high speed rail ever takes off between Chicago and any of the Ohio cities, all of which have been proposed, that could be a huge game changer for the region. But it's still a pipe dream at this point.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:31 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
The interesting thing about NWI is that it has the potential to make Chicagoland more of a multi-nodal metro area, with NWI becoming more of an independent player in the regional economy. However, the legislators in Indianapolis are all about Indy and there is a big stigma attached to NWI still. NWI could be so much more than it is. It has huge logistical advantages being so close to Chicago, and huge tax advantages being located in Indiana. But Indianapolis is not interested in developing the economy in this region which is a shame because NWI has the most potential of anywhere in the state, IMO. But without NWI's economy taking off more, its growth will be strictly tied to people fleeing IL, with will result in continued modest growth. Now, if high speed rail ever takes off between Chicago and any of the Ohio cities, all of which have been proposed, that could be a huge game changer for the region. But it's still a pipe dream at this point.
The reason the Statehouse ignores NWI is because of the way it votes. I'm pretty convinced it has nothing to do with anything else because to me, NWI has the most economic growth potential of any area in the state, outside of (maybe) Indianapolis. The only reason Indianapolis still gets attention from the state is because it is the Capitol. But even here, the State of Indiana does what it can to limit the city's growth.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Historically most NWI residents didn't commute to IL but worked in heavy industry in Gary or elsewhere along the lake, correct? When those jobs left and downtown Gary went from a hub to a ghost town NWI became a headless body. Gary won't improve until the lake front is home to jobs or a nice beach.

In terms of tourism the Dunes is underrated and not enough business is geared towards it. Most people down my way think the Dunes are an industrial wasteland with a beach. My wife remembered dead birds and bad smell from a visit 20 years ago. We went in Sept and were surprised how nice it was. IN should try to make a tourist area like Nashville or Gatlinburg adjacent to the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana