Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 17,685 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move and looking for a good area for a family with a young elementary age child. I'm a former elementary teacher (who would like to go back to teaching again soon) and Dad would be commuting to Hammond. We need a safe, family area. We want a single family home. I was checking out some of the other towns mentioned on this site for NW Indiana as well as some of the south suburbs of Chicago like Homewood. I came across Dyer, IN. I've seen the name mentioned on this site, but not really any information about it. I did find the town website and looked at (online) some houses for sale in the area and price range. Is anyone familiar with this town? What can you tell me about the area, the schools, family activities, health care (asthma), shopping (possible food allergy could complicate the grocery shopping if there are not stores selling foods along the lines of organic prepackaged foods--that could mean Chicago suburbs in IL might be better)....but I liked what I saw on Dyer's town website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Dyer is adjacent to the IL border so people go back and forth to shop frequently. I know many major chains now sell prepackaged organic foods. There is a large Jewel grocery in Dyer. Places in Munster, Highland, Schererville are also nearby.

There is a hospital in Dyer--St. Margaret's I believe (it's changed names a couple of times) as well as one in Munster.

The school district is Lake Central I believe.

I don't know where you are from, but the hard thing for many to understand about NW Indiana is that the towns are really contiguous. As I've posted here previously, unless you know the exact boundaries or notice a sign, it's kind of hard to tell one town from the next. People don't just do activities in their town but move about the area.

I can tell you that real estate taxes are likely to be far less in Dyer than in any of the IL suburbs.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
rrah is right on the tax situation. You'll get more house for the money in Dyer. And since the towns mush together, doing a house search based on school district is your best bet. Consider Crown Point too. It's a bit more a drive to Hammond, but put it on your list too. Yes, Dyer is in the Lake Central school system and Crown Point is it's own school district, but again, there are some with Crown Point addresses in the Lake Central system.

Post over on the chicago suburban board for more information on the Homewood/Flossmoor area.

There are a lot of south suburban chicago people flocking to the Dyer/Schererville/St. John/Crown Point area.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 AM

440 posts, read 329,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Dyer is adjacent to the IL border so people go back and forth to shop frequently. I know many major chains now sell prepackaged organic foods. There is a large Jewel grocery in Dyer. Places in Munster, Highland, Schererville are also nearby.

There is a hospital in Dyer--St. Margaret's I believe (it's changed names a couple of times) as well as one in Munster.

The school district is Lake Central I believe.

I don't know where you are from, but the hard thing for many to understand about NW Indiana is that the towns are really contiguous. As I've posted here previously, unless you know the exact boundaries or notice a sign, it's kind of hard to tell one town from the next. People don't just do activities in their town but move about the area.

I can tell you that real estate taxes are likely to be far less in Dyer than in any of the IL suburbs.
Beware, certain areas of Dyer, (particulary around St. Margarets) had massive flooding last year.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,739,536 times
and traffic can be hellish at times ...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
and traffic can be hellish at times ...
Would you mind elaborating on the traffic comment? Having lived in several different areas of the country, I've learned no one likes the traffic where they are . What is considered bad in one area is not the same as the other. Are there certain roads that back up for miles? Accidents every day? Can you not go out to the grocery store any time of the day without sitting in a traffic jam or is it rush hour? Rush hour in one direction or both? DS would be working days in Hammond so how long would you expect the commute to take? Is the whole way bumper to bumper or parts of it? Thanks for the additional information!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
Beware, certain areas of Dyer, (particulary around St. Margarets) had massive flooding last year.

Were these areas that expected to flood (ie if we check on flood planes (I think that's what they are called?)) would that tell us that a house is in an area that might flood (or may have flooded)? Or were these unexpected, uninsured for flood and therefore not covered for it by regular homeowner's insurance type floods? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Traffic ..... Downtown Dyer is very small. There is a major hospital in the midst of all of it, along with the Illinois State line. When you get to the end of the Indiana portion of Route 30 you could go one of 2 ways. And the traffic doesn't flow smoothly.

Dyer has grown a lot to the North. My niece got married in the North part of Dyer a few months ago. I left in plenty of time to get there, but I was late because I got stuck in traffic. I barely made it into the church before the wedding started. Miserable, MISERABLE traffic.

Then you have Route 41 to the East of Dyer. Route 41 is a heavily traveled highway in the area. You can plan on sitting thru 3 or 4 light changes at the intersection of Rtes 30 & 41. I avoid that whole area if at all possible. :-(

Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
I'm not certain where you're coming from, but I'd hardly call Dyer traffic 'hellish.' It can get crowded on 30 or 41, but it's hardly ever that bad without an accident or really bad weather. Compared to the IL suburbs of Chicago, it's fine. Dyer and NWI in general is MUCH better than the South Suburbs of Chicago (on the IL side), hands down!
The nice thing is that you can live in NWI (which is much better than the South Suburbs) and it does NOT require being rich, nor is it significantly more expensive than those areas. Taxes are likely to be less than Cook County. Parts of Dyer can get pricey, but it's certainly not a place that's only open to the very wealthy. Same goes for Schererville and Saint John, which also feed into Lake Central. I'd highly recommend the move over the South Suburbs!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM

I am very familiar with Lake County, Indiana & the Chicago suburbs. I have driven in Chicago traffic for years. Likewise on the Indiana side.

If you couple the old roads in Dyer with the amount of people trying to get thru there, it DOES get hellish.

And its always crowed on Route 41, and that is something that will never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana