Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM

141 posts, read 217,445 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job downtown, and I am wondering who all commutes to Chicago for work. I most likely will take the South Shore, but I have heard it is pretty unreliable. The company I am working for already expressed concern with me commuting from Indiana so I can't be late. I am wondering how most people commute downtown. It seems driving in costs ALOT for parking everyday, so the train would be the best option money wise.

I live in Crown Point, so the closest station to me is the Gary-Miller stop. Is this station safe? I would be working 9-5, so when I get home from Nov-Mar it will be dark. How is the parking situation there?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Yes, there have been times when train service has been interrupted or down (sometimes they offer
a bus service). Maybe someone who has used the Miller stop can tell you about your concerns.
If there is no rail service and during bad weather (snow) you need to take extra time for traveling
by car. I would also suggest an IPASS to save time if going through the tollway and Skyway.
You might want to post on the Chicago forum about more affordable parking lots in the city.

South Shore Westbound Train Service, Monday-Friday | Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District

Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
I was just offered a job downtown, and I am wondering who all commutes to Chicago for work. I most likely will take the South Shore, but I have heard it is pretty unreliable. The company I am working for already expressed concern with me commuting from Indiana so I can't be late. I am wondering how most people commute downtown. It seems driving in costs ALOT for parking everyday, so the train would be the best option money wise.

I live in Crown Point, so the closest station to me is the Gary-Miller stop. Is this station safe? I would be working 9-5, so when I get home from Nov-Mar it will be dark. How is the parking situation there?

Thanks in advance
Where exactly in Crown Point are you that the Miller stop is closest? That station has to involve a certain amount of back-tracking for you drive-wise. I think you'd be much smarter to go to the East Chgo Station.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Where exactly in Crown Point are you that the Miller stop is closest? That station has to involve a certain amount of back-tracking for you drive-wise. I think you'd be much smarter to go to the East Chgo Station.
I live right by the 109th st exit off I-65. When I mapped it out the Miller station was the closest.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Yes, there have been times when train service has been interrupted or down (sometimes they offer
a bus service). Maybe someone who has used the Miller stop can tell you about your concerns.
If there is no rail service and during bad weather (snow) you need to take extra time for traveling
by car. I would also suggest an IPASS to save time if going through the tollway and Skyway.
You might want to post on the Chicago forum about more affordable parking lots in the city.

South Shore Westbound Train Service, Monday-Friday | Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District

Thanks, I will post there about lots. Personally, I would rather drive in but it is not cost effective from what I calculated. I do have an EZ Pass, so if I have to I will take the toll road/skyway

Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post

Thanks in advance
Most people who work in the downtown area probably commute by train. In the suburban areas, you will find more south shore riders in Munster, Highland, Dyer, and Schererville than you would in Crown Point and points south and southeast of there. I'm sure there are many Merrillville residents (mostly in the northern end of town) that utilize the Gary Metro stop.

The Gary Metro NICTD stop may be a tad bit closer (and more "on the way") and it is a busier stop. With your work schedule, there will be a lot of other commuters with you which is good as working odd hours would be more concerning.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info! Back in 2000, I worked downtown and lived in Dyer, and I used the Hegewisch stop and it wasn't too bad. As long as I don't have to worry about my car getting broken into, and since at night I will be getting back at dark safety is a concern.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
here's an off the wall option … it will take about 10 minutes longer to get to the Metra stop in University Park … it may be a safer option.

It's a shame that your employer has an attitude about where you live.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM

I checked out the Metra Electric and I don't think that will work for me. Cost wise it would be more and I would not save any time.

I did check into East Chicago, and that does look like a better option. It's a little farther away but not by much, and the rates are cheaper. I think that is the way I will probably go for now

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 29,312 times
Hi Nikko - I just moved to Schererville a year ago from Chicago. I commute to downtown Chicago 4 days a week. I typically drive and have found that there are many parking garages with reasonable monthly rates or good "early bird" rates if you arrive and park before 9. I sometimes take the southshore train however, it is very slow and cold in the winter. I'd much rather spend a bit more and be in the warmth of my car. I've also found that it doesn't usually save me any time and many times would take longer than if I drove. I have take the metra from University park and its very nice but the drive home does add on a bit more time once you get off the train.

I also am sorry to hear about the close mindedness of your employer. Having lived in the city and now here in Northwest Indiana, I can say that sometimes getting to work from the Northside of Chicago took almost as long as it does coming from Chicago. Additionally, Northwest Indiana is just as close if not closer than many of the Western Suburbs many people commute from.

Good luck! I just suggest doing a balance between driving and taking the train and you will be just fine. Check with area garages or see if your employer offers any discounts for monthly transportation/parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana