Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Crown Point Community School district be redrawn to include the entire city?
Yes 21 72.41%
No 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times

Advertisements

There isn't a thread on here dedicated to all of Crown Point and as it is a growing and popular area now, I hope to see more inclusive discussion about the whole city I'm talking about development news, events, etc.

I would like to open this thread with a poll based on a topic that many people have discussed in the past, but was recently brought up in a "Letter to the Editor" I just read.

Crown Point school system should be for entire city

Right now, the school district boundaries only include Center and Winfield Townships. A portion of the city is in Ross Township (currently zoned to Merrillville Schools) and a portion in St. John Township (currently zones to Lake Central Schools).

Personally, I would think Center and Winfield Township residents would have an issue with this and especially with the Ross Township portion being inlcuding as many of these residents fled Ross Township due to declining schools. Thoughts?

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 11-12-2012 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
I don't know whether they should or shouldn't, but it would be interesting if they did. There are a few benefits and consequences to doing this that I could see.

1) The property values in northern Crown Point that are currently zoned to the Merrillville school district would rise substantially.
2) This would not only include the area of Crown Point north of 101st, but also the areas just east of Burr St. south of 30, as well as the subdivision northwest of Hyles Anderson which is Harvest Acres. Those are all currently within the Lake Central district.
3) Crown Point would get hundreds more students, which also would lead to more education funding from the state. Obviously the opposite would be the case for LC.
4) There are a number of students living in the Hidden Creek/Pine Island apartment complex just south of Zuni's on 30 that may carry some unwanted baggage for CP if they were to go to CP schools.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM

See I was kinda thinking the same. I feel that the primary questions individuals may have is "will property values in CP - Ross increase AND/OR will they decrease in Center and Winfield Townships?"

The demographics used to be more uniform throughout Center, Ross, and Winfield Townships. However, they have differentiated a bit as Ross Township became more diverse and Center and Winfield Townships became more populated and gained wealth.

No doubt, the school population would increase by a substantial amount. Many residents may feel "If I had known this, I would have lived north of 101st" or they may say "I moved south of 101st for a reason and I want it to stay that way". I do understand the concern of the man who wrote the letter though. I have questioned it as well.

When Crown Point markets itself as a wonderful community to outsiders, they do not put the disclaimer on the difference between which township they reside in.

Regarding the Pine Island/Hidden Creek issues, this could be the case as well for Mallard Bay Apts (although much nicer) and the other multi-family units in the Ross Twp area of CP.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM

17 posts, read 49,073 times
I don't think that this only happens in Crown Point. I grew up in Griffith and know that even with a Griffith address you didn't necessarily go to Griffith schools. Depending where you lived with a Griffith address you might be zoned for Lake Central schools or Calumet Township schools. Therefore, why would Crown Point residents be bothered by something that seems to affect a lot of different townships? Seems like the only people bothered by this would be the residents buying the cheaper properties out of the school town limits (where prices are reflective of location) who want full benefits of living in the town. Something for nothing...

Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisdavis View Post
I don't think that this only happens in Crown Point. I grew up in Griffith and know that even with a Griffith address you didn't necessarily go to Griffith schools. Depending where you lived with a Griffith address you might be zoned for Lake Central schools or Calumet Township schools. Therefore, why would Crown Point residents be bothered by something that seems to affect a lot of different townships? Seems like the only people bothered by this would be the residents buying the cheaper properties out of the school town limits (where prices are reflective of location) who want full benefits of living in the town. Something for nothing...
Nobody said this only happens in Crown Point. In addition to the district you named, places with Hobart addressed can be zoned to three different districts (Hobart, River Forest, or Merrillville). This may also be considered with the portion of Saint John that is in Hanover Township schools.

The thing is that CP was the district being talked about and would probably be the one district that would probably put up the biggest barriers to allowing for this.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
It won't happen. Not a chance. Not in any of the towns. It would overload some districts, and I don't see any districts willingly giving up students. It would cause more problems then it would solve.

Most of the school district boundaries were drawn long before suburbanization. Same thing with post office mailing addresses. That's why that part of Schererville by Hyles Anderson College have Crown Point mailing addresses.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
The people who built those homes North of Carroll Chevy knew they were buying into the Merrillville School System.

I'll bet there won't be many in CP who will go for this.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
The people who built those homes North of Carroll Chevy knew they were buying into the Merrillville School System.

I'll bet there won't be many in CP who will go for this.
Yes, but at the time that those homes were built, Merrillville schools were pretty comparable to Crown Point. They probably didn't forsee Merrillville as it is now.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
It won't happen. Not a chance. Not in any of the towns. It would overload some districts, and I don't see any districts willingly giving up students. It would cause more problems then it would solve.

Most of the school district boundaries were drawn long before suburbanization. Same thing with post office mailing addresses. That's why that part of Schererville by Hyles Anderson College have Crown Point mailing addresses.
I agree. I wonder if at least Crown Point would give those in Ross or St. John township the option of paying tuition if students wanted to attend. Probably not, but I bet many people have asked.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Yes, but at the time that those homes were built, Merrillville schools were pretty comparable to Crown Point. They probably didn't forsee Merrillville as it is now.

As a former resident of Merrillville (with children who attended school there),
and a graduate of CPHS, I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana