Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Merrillville is declining?
Yes 36 83.72%
No 6 13.95%
Other - Please Explain 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM

277 posts, read 443,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
But there is a very large swath of more or less rural land that extends all the way from 65 to the Porter County Line that is within Merrillville's boundaries. I'm curious as to how that large chunk of land , some of it technically east of Hobart even, came to be part of Merrillville. Regardless, the vast majority of the southeast quadrant of the 65/30 juncture extending to the Porter County line is in fact Merrillville and seems to represent great potential for further development.
Isn't it the other way around where Hobart actually slipped into the Merrillville borders to grab the Mall Development? Merrillville on both east and west sides of the mall makes me think this.

As for the lack of Merrillvill land along the I-65 corridor, it may take some "RE-development" to get these corporations to be included in Merrillville and make it work. I doubt Crown Point would opt to have this sort of tax incentive as they seem to be doing well in their current setup without having to draw the big business to help things move along.

There's plenty of the smaller strip mall setups that could get raised and rezoned as the corporate sites depending on how you want to play that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
But there is a very large swath of more or less rural land that extends all the way from 65 to the Porter County Line that is within Merrillville's boundaries. I'm curious as to how that large chunk of land , some of it technically east of Hobart even, came to be part of Merrillville. Regardless, the vast majority of the southeast quadrant of the 65/30 juncture extending to the Porter County line is in fact Merrillville and seems to represent great potential for further development.
Only to Division is it Merrillville - actually Ross Township with a Crown Point mailing address in most instances. The rest is Winfield.

Do you have any idea how undesirable Ross Township is from a residential real estate standpoint? It's a literal death knell to a listing that shows a Crown Point address, but is technically Ross Township.

Why? Schools.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
Isn't it the other way around where Hobart actually slipped into the Merrillville borders to grab the Mall Development? Merrillville on both east and west sides of the mall makes me think this.
Hobart annexed it in the early 90s. I believe it was fought up to the state Supreme Court.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM

2,506 posts, read 3,382,046 times
I'm from the North Shore originally so I don't understand all of this Indiana geography. Ross Township, in Merrillville, with a Crown Point mailing address...all somewhat confusing.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:56 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Quote:
I'm from the North Shore originally so I don't understand all of this Indiana geography. Ross Township, in Merrillville, with a Crown Point mailing address...all somewhat confusing.
No offense but... your lack of knowledge of NWI is somewhat evident in your posts.

There's a lot of this "somewhat confusing" stuff in the area, especially with different townships meaning a single town could be zoned to multiple different school districts. For example, there are:

Crown Point addresses that go to Merrillville schools

Hobart addresses that go to Merrillville schools

Crown Point addresses that go to Lake Central schools

St. John addresses that go to Hanover schools

Cedar Lake addresses that go to Crown Point Schools

Winfield and LOFS that go to Crown Point schools

Valpo addresses that go to Wheeler schools

Valpo addresses that go to Boone Grove schools

...and I'm sure many others.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Ooh!! Fun game! I'll play in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
No offense but... your lack of knowledge of NWI is somewhat evident in your posts.

There's a lot of this "somewhat confusing" stuff in the area, especially with different townships meaning a single town could be zoned to multiple different school districts. For example, there are:

Crown Point addresses that go to Merrillville schools

Hobart addresses that go to Merrillville schools

Crown Point addresses that go to Lake Central schools

St. John addresses that go to Hanover schools

Cedar Lake addresses that go to Crown Point Schools

Winfield and LOFS that go to Crown Point schools

Valpo addresses that go to Wheeler schools

Valpo addresses that go to Boone Grove schools

Valpo addresses that go to Chesterton schools

Valpo addresses that go to Washington Township schools

Valpo addresses that go to Morgan Township schools

My absolute favorite though is ...

LOFS with a Crown Point address that are really in Porter County that go to Boone Grove schools

...and I'm sure many others.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post

You do realize that Northwest Indiana consists of more than your beloved town right? Not sure if you do as evidenced by your posts.

I currently live in Asia but recently invested in the area. I also lived in the area in the 90's. Lived in Beverly Shores and worked in Michigan City, as well as Chesterton and Porter for a time. Also had friends in LaPorte and Hammond, regularly enjoyed the offerings of downtown Valpo, and went to parties/social functions in every one of the duneland communities. I have family in Miller Beach and have been to Whiting for the pierogi festival on several occasions.

In fact, the only area of the Region that holds no interest to me are the "aspirational" suburbs that some on here endlessly debate as to which is better (apart from the Three Floyds Brewery). Grew up with that crap on the North Shore and that's why I prefer the Region, it's relative lack of pretension.

Sooooooo, considering my broader range of experience in the totality of Northwest Indiana, I think in fact it is you that are less informed. Maybe you need to get out of Schererville more often.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You do realize that Northwest Indiana consists of more than your beloved town right? Not sure if you do as evidenced by your posts.

I currently live in Asia but recently invested in the area. I also lived in the area in the 90's. Lived in Beverly Shores and worked in Michigan City, as well as Chesterton and Porter for a time. Also had friends in LaPorte and Hammond, regularly enjoyed the offerings of downtown Valpo, and went to parties/social functions in every one of the duneland communities. I have family in Miller Beach and have been to Whiting for the pierogi festival on several occasions.

In fact, the only area of the Region that holds no interest to me are the "aspirational" suburbs that some on here endlessly debate as to which is better (apart from the Three Floyds Brewery). Grew up with that crap on the North Shore and that's why I prefer the Region, it's relative lack of pretension.

Sooooooo, considering my broader range of experience in the totality of Northwest Indiana, I think in fact it is you that are less informed. Maybe you need to get out of Schererville more often.
I think I'll personally send Asia an "I'm sorry" giftbasket.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Care to elaborate on your personal attack there bud? I wasn't even responding to you, Someone cast aspersions as to my knowledge of the region, and I defended myself. You are obviously a class act.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Care to elaborate on your personal attack there bud? I wasn't even responding to you, Someone cast aspersions as to my knowledge of the region, and I defended myself. You are obviously a class act.
Well, first, that wasn't a personal attack.

Second, you've proved in a lot of your posts in the NWI forum that you really DON'T have an in-depth knowledge of the Region.

Third, svillechris DOES have in-depth knowledge of the entire area.

And fourth, I think a gift basket is quite classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana