Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 14,725 times

Advertisements

New job in Whiting..I do not know the area as far as travel/congestion/etc. I will be renting an apartment so what advice can you give me as far as economic advantages to the travel time/stress vs. the rent payment and Whiting as an address? I think it looks less expensive to the south..Crown Point? Merrillville? But what's traffic like? Worthwhile to live in town or travel out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Depends, Whiting is an interesting place. You have people who have lived there for generations and you have people moving in from EC/Hammond/south Chicago. If you are single and want to be extremely close to the lake and chicago, go for it. I think it would be an adventure. If you have a family, it's kind of hit or miss. The schools are so so, a lot go to private schools. I personally think that Whiting is a gold mine waiting to be tapped for suburban growth ... if they had a commuter rail line into Chicago, you wouldn't be able to afford the place soon after. As of now, it's kind of like an oasis among the smokestacks and grit of the region.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
My parents owned a business in Whiting for 20 or so years and one sister lived there for about 10 years. If you have children, make sure the schools are the Whiting schools and not the Hammond schools. I'm a very surprised that Crown Point and areas to the south are less expensive. Pros for Whiting: Generally you can get to downtown Chicago in about 1/2 hr or so using the skyway, proximity to Lake Michigan with a nice (or at least it used to be nice) lake front park, pretty small town atmosphere. Cons: Whiting smells bad a lot of the time due to the BP factory on Indianapolis Blvd and another factory that did something with corn (who would guess corn syrup would stink?), housing stock is old (maybe a pro), Whiting used to be a pretty insulated place. People need to know you for quite awhile before you would be accepted there.

Traffic--keep in mind it's been at least 7-8 years since I've driven through Whiting on a regular basis--Main traffic areas were/are Indianapolis Blvd and Calumet Ave and where they come together. Also coming off the Skyway. Traffic hours depended upon the hours of the factories. Weekends were/are quiet.

I don't know if they still do this, but Whiting used to have one heck of a July 4th parade!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:23 AM

The parade is still really good and the Pierogi fest is a nationally recognized event ... who knew? There are 3 smells that permeate Whiting, gas from the BP refinery, soap smell from Lever Brothers and the Cargill plant (previously Amaizo), which trucks in trainloads of corn and processes it into various corn products (the Staley plant in Lafayette smells the same way).

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 14,725 times
Well, we settled on Whiting and so far so good. Found a nice apartment (old) but safe and reasonable. Hammond is the school district I needed..so we will find out more about that as we go. Yes, the BP is there, but it is a quaint old area.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Glad you're enjoying it thus far. Have you made it to the lakefront yet? I really miss Lake Michigan!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM

And now that BP was put down ... maybe the lakefront will stay relatively nice. I took my kids over to Washington Park beach in MC earlier this year and my kids had so much fun! I used to spend many weekends at the Lake and watching my kids revel in it made me think how much I took it for granted. Lake Michigan is an important resource to keep clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana