Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 PM

413 posts, read 1,166,018 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be entertaining to start a weight loss thread for our sub-forum. We in this area are blessed with diverse foods and a fast paced lifestyle which leads a lot of us to become out of shape or overweight; becoming another statistic for American obesity.

I'm attempting to lose 7 pounds by the end of the month.

We can anonymously list our stats here to motivate each other with suggestions, motivation, etc.

I'll start:

5'8
163 lbs.
male
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,195,944 times
Not to detract from this idea...but there is also an Exercise and Fitness forum here where you can share similar goals.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM

^ Yeah, I realized that before making this thread but thought another thread on here might be warranted since we live in the same area and can share ideas like places to work-out, parks, location of activities, ect. more easily; which would lead to a more conducive and better weight loss program/diet.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM

21 posts, read 36,560 times
Default A healthier 2010

I agree this is probably better off in Health & Fitness, but I like the "local" idea. I started making small changes in my diet and workout routine in early March, and I've lost 12 lbs. so far. I have another 10 to go.

I live in Shirlington and am a member of the Energy Club gym there. The main things that helped me were:

1) I joined a neighborhood running club (through Meetup.com)
2) I replaced regular sodas with Coke Zero + started drinking more water
3) I pledged to try to make more meals at home, instead of eating out all the time

I like to vary my workouts with classes, so lately I've been trying Bodypump (basically 60 minutes of lifting), Bikram yoga, and spinning.

I'm open to hearing any suggestions people have. I do most of my running in my neighborhood, although I know there are some nice trails and parks in other parts of NOVA.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 AM

From all of the information I've gathered, working out is not necessary in order to lose weight.

Diet is key. What you must do is find out your maintenance by using the BMR; use google. Then multiply that number by 1.2. This is the calories it takes to maintain your weight. Subtract 500 from this number every day and you'll lose 1 lb. a week, subtract 1,000 and you'll lose 2 lb. a week, and so on. It's not hard at all.

Also, if you want to boost your metabolism tremendously and really shape your body I suggest lifting weights vigorously. Trust me, if you do it properly you will not bulk up ladies.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 AM

17,444 posts, read 16,620,623 times
You can lose weight through dietary changes, alone. But you almost always look/feel better when you're working out, too.

Right now I'm focusing on diet, cardio every day (mostly outdoors) and some light weights at home.
The goal is to shape up/lose weight without injuring myself in the process - walking, biking, swimming are all good exercises for that. Luckily, we have lots of great trails, rec centers, pools, etc. in NoVa. And I've really been enjoying the local produce from the farmers markets.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:55 AM

3,750 posts, read 2,582,997 times
WRIC is reporting today that 68% of Virginians are overweight or obese.
Obviously the Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't have a monopoly on gluttony, but I did think this was still an epic stat/headline.

And just based on the proverbial eyeball test, I'd guess that it's 68% and growing (this data was collected in 2021).
Black Virginians have the highest in-group obesity rate (47%).

Old 10-24-2023, 08:30 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,424,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
WRIC is reporting today that 68% of Virginians are overweight or obese.
Obviously the Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't have a monopoly on gluttony, but I did think this was still an epic stat/headline.

And just based on the proverbial eyeball test, I'd guess that it's 68% and growing (this data was collected in 2021).
Black Virginians have the highest in-group obesity rate (47%).
It's unfortunate to see that they used BMI as the metric to determine obesity in their study as it's inaccurate. If we're going by that, then Dwayne Johnson is considered obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia