Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,692 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!! Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,596,758 times
closer to Fairfax and short ride (4.7mi)

Burke Lake Park Trails, Fairfax County Park Authority (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/burkelake/burketrails.htm - broken link)

Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
I always loved driving all the way out to Purcellville, starting at the western terminus of the trail, and then running into Hamilton and back. I'm trying to get into good enough shape to be able to run into Leesburg and back again (maybe stopping each time for a bite to eat in Old Town Leesburg). Typically I run west on the W&OD from Old Reston Avenue in Reston to the Loudoun County line and back. In general it's not a very pleasant stretch---very congested (lots of "this is MY trail" sort of speed-cyclists), power lines, at-grade busy intersections, overpasses over busy roads, etc. I really want to start near Sharpsburg, MD someday and run the C&O Canal Towpath Trail for a few miles (maybe to Sandy Hook and back).

Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,355,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
closer to Fairfax and short ride (4.7mi)

Burke Lake Park Trails, Fairfax County Park Authority (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/burkelake/burketrails.htm - broken link)
Burke Lake is very nice. I hadn't been there in years, but I visited last weekend and really enjoyed my time there. One word of warning. It costs $8 to enter the park (unless it is a "free" weekend for Fairfax county residents). If you have bikes, you can save yourself a few dollars by parking outside the entrance across Ox Road. It's a pretty ride around the lake.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,692 times
Yay... so many wonderful suggestions.. thanks, guys!! We may actually end up doing more than one of these rides... possibly something close to where we're based and then something else that requires a longer drive (I'm assuming the place we rent the bikes will also have a rack we can put on the rental car). I'm *so* looking forward to their visit - and my move! Goodbye, Huntington, hello Fairfax City.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
I'd start in Purcellville, ride to Leesburg, and then get a bite to eat at South Side Under (which is right near the bike path). Then ride back to Purcellville. Boy, that sounds like a very pleasant way to spend a morning. I have a free morning tomorrow, I might just do it myself.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,957,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
My parents will be visiting to help me move in a few weeks, and they're going to rent bikes so we can all go on a shortish (5-10 mile) ride - my dad likes the Mount Vernon Trail, but I'm more a W&OD person (since we'll be based in Alexandria and Fairfax City, these are the two [major] trails that will be closest to us). Anyone have any recs for 5-10 miles stretches on the W&OD that wouldn't require us to drive too far west to start out? What about starting in Herndon and going west for about 5-10 miles? Too blandly suburban? Should we start out in Loudoun somewhere? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have!
My dh has done the entire W&OD, many times, so I asked him. He said the prettiest is Paeonian Springs (rt 7 where it hits rt 9) to Purcellville, about 5 miles, or 10 miles round trip.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
We went out very early this morning and it was so pretty today! The stretch between Purcllville and Leesburg is very nice, especially early in the a.m.

Another place I like to ride on the W&OD is Reston Town Center. The W&OD goes right by it, and the bike racks are right next to a little deli/market. Walking around the RTC is a good way to stretch for a half hour or so before getting back on the bike.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,460,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'd start in Purcellville, ride to Leesburg, and then get a bite to eat at South Side Under (which is right near the bike path). Then ride back to Purcellville. Boy, that sounds like a very pleasant way to spend a morning. I have a free morning tomorrow, I might just do it myself.

Keep in mind, there is A LOT of construction because of the power lines right now. AND, remember, too, the ride from Leesburg to Purcellville -- a lot of it is uphil which may or may not be good on a full tummy!

(Southside Under is very good, however)

Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,974,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Keep in mind, there is A LOT of construction because of the power lines right now.
Is the construction actually interfering with the W&OD, or is the concern about having to look at construction (rather than trees)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia