Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,080 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering living in courthouse and commuting to Fairfax everyday. I realize I have the option of the metro but how is it by car? I would be driving west on route 50 or lee hwy. Can anyone give me a description of how these roads are during rush hour? Thank goodness it will be somewhat of a reverse commute.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,013 times
Where in Fairfax? Fairfax City? Out by Fair Oaks/Fair Lakes?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM

I believe the area is Fairlee? My employer is located on Lee hwy itself.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,013 times
I suggest testing it out, but I think you'd be better off taking 29 vs. 50. When I did a similar commute in the past (Ballston to Nutley & Lee) I found that 29/Lee Hwy had better traffic movement than the log jam that is Rt 50. However, that was before all the construction around Gallows and 29.

I also suggest making your way to 29 via Washington Blvd so you can avoid the Wilson Blvd/7 Corner madness. Depending upon your work hours/commute time, I'd think you are looking at roughly a 30 - 40 minute ride.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks a lot, you've been a huge help.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
It's a relatively easy commute in the morning, and 50 can be fine, though sometimes between Falls Church and Fairview Park there can be traffic in the morning, due to light timing. You could always branch off Route 50 at Seven Corners, take Hillwood to Washington Street/Lee Highway and avoid the problem areas, though there are sometimes delays later in the morning due to road construction at 495. Or, you could take Wilson to Seven Corners and then Hillwood to Lee Highway.

66 can work, too, but there is slow traffic during some hours in the morning, around Glebe, which I have gotten stuck in myself, though I had to divert to Brooklyn Bagels en route -- hence it was a delay that was delicious. An extra few minutes on either side can make a difference outbound, but it's not a horrible delay, compared to the inbound traffic. That said, I find that 50/29/Wilson can move in the morning as well, but watch your speed on Lee Highway/Washington in Falls Church, and especially on Hillwood if you take that route.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Sounds like we need to add this to our alternate routes thread. Bmwguy, you are the guru of alternate commutes! No matter where it is, you always seem to know the best way to get there. I'v tried your suggestions and they're great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: