Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Dude, nobody is saying that Bobby Mac will raise taxes. He ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT!!!

He will force the localities to raise local taxes....or severely cut services. It is the local pols that will incur the wrath of the voters EITHER way. And Bobby will strut around bragging about it for the next four years...
Yup, that's politics for you. One way or the other, taxes go up. The game playing is all about who ends up stuck with the blame... but don't kid yourself that having a teflon governor means taxes won't go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Dude, nobody is saying that Bobby Mac will raise taxes. He ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT!!!

He will force the localities to raise local taxes....or severely cut services. It is the local pols that will incur the wrath of the voters EITHER way. And Bobby will strut around bragging about it for the next four years...
The political climate has changed my friend. Virginia is not going to be a tax and spend state anymore. You are correct that Gov. Bobby won't raise taxes, and that the local counties will have to make tough decisons. But, you make it sound like the Gov. will encourage them to raise taxes. I think he will strongly discourage any state or local agency from raising taxes. And, the voters will jump all over any agency who propses raising taxes. The only fess, taxes, etc. that citizens will even consider is for specific things only. And, even those will probably be shot down. The public doesn't trust the gov't to spend our money!
I just don't think that anyone with the autohority to raise taxes in VA will actually try and sell that to the people.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yup, that's politics for you. One way or the other, taxes go up. The game playing is all about who ends up stuck with the blame... but don't kid yourself that having a teflon governor means taxes won't go up.
In todays world, the punishment for raising taxes is (political) death. I think it's the last resort, and even then it won't be a happy ending.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I just don't think that anyone with the autohority to raise taxes in VA will actually try and sell that to the people.
LOL, well I hope you're right. Time will tell.

As for the political climate changing... so what else is new? It doesn't mean all that much in northern Virginia, where the political climate changes every year, sometimes every few months.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, well I hope you're right. Time will tell.

As for the political climate changing... so what else is new? It doesn't mean all that much in northern Virginia, where the political climate changes every year, sometimes every few months.
I rwalize that taxes are part of life, and politics will always play a big part in decisons made (especially around here)
Whats different now is that we have an anti-tax governor, anti-tax state legisllature/assembly, and *most* cistizens are also anti-tax... or shall we say "fiscally conservative"
Kaine was fighting an uphill battle which he stopped fighting his last year. The average citizen is more aware, and more vocal about these issues. Politicians are not going to be able to hide anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia