Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,398 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer at Dulles Airport and i need to find an apartment. I'm moving from Michigan and it seems a bit more expensive here.

I don't need to live right on top of the airport but i don't want more than a half hour commute. My job starts at 6:30am so i'm hoping to beat the morning rush.

Right now I am looking at Centreville. I'm not too picky but i don't want a high crime area. I'm single so i just need a 1 bedroom apartment. It looks like the average 1 bedroom apartment is about 1000 a month. I can pay that.

Any apartment recommendations in the Centreville area or another area around 20min away from Dulles airport?

I have been searching frantically. It seems everybody gives bad reviews on all the apartment web sites. Any real help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly851 View Post
IIt seems everybody gives bad reviews on all the apartment web sites. Any real help would be appreciated.
Don't get discouraged, people most often give reviews when they have something bad to say. I've lived in two apartment buildings that got awful reviews but we had a wonderful experience in both.

ANyway, I used to work at IAD and a lot of people lived in Centerville and Chantilly. I commuted from Leesburg and although the drive didn't take that long, you have to take into count the time it takes you to find a parking spot at the employee parking lot and hop on the shuttle to get you to the main terminal. And if your office is not in the main terminal, add the time it takes to go through security and walk to your office. It took me an hour total to get to the office, without any traffic. Good luck with your search and welcome to the area!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Ok, I have a few general comments based on some assumptions & variables
Are you single? do you care about social /nightlife?
Are you driving to the main terminals, or can you drive in the service gates off of 28 and rt 50? If so then Centreville is a better option.
1. If you are single: Fairfax is a good option. The commute isn't bad because it is mostly against the flow of traffic. You could look for something near rt 50 near Vienna, old town Fairfax, or Fair oaks/Fair lakes area.
2. centreville isn't bad, but you will have some traffic heading N on 28.
3. Reston/Herndon: great commute! There are plenty of shops & restaurants but its still the suburbs...

Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you're single, I'd go for Reston Town Center. Centreville's nice, but there's more going on at the Town center.

Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne

ps. If you end up in Centreville, you'll be fine. You'll just have to drive a little bit to meet up with friends. But it's not bad at all.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM

My job is for the Airport Authority so i can get a discount on parking inside the airport. It's a maintenance job for the airport so the office is not in the main terminal.

I am single so social/nightlife is important but i'm more concerned about getting a nice spacious apartment.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly851 View Post
My job is for the Airport Authority so i can get a discount on parking inside the airport. It's a maintenance job for the airport so the office is not in the main terminal.

I am single so social/nightlife is important but i'm more concerned about getting a nice spacious apartment.
Then Centreville might be a perfect fit! It's a nice community with modern, spacious apartments. A little boring, but hey, if you don't like it you can always move when your lease is up.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Anyone have any apartment recommendations for the Centreville area?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:53 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I am surprised that no one mentioned apartments in Sterling, Herndon, Ashburn, Landsdowne, etc. Nearly all are accessible via Rte 28 or other major thoroughfares. And to me, some are closer to Dulles Airport than parts of Centreville.

I wouldn't look for apartments in Vienna, reasons for both pricing and distance.

OP, when searching for apartments, look at a map and find a few located near the airport and then ask us about specific ones. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
We stayed in an Archstone Stonebridge in Ashburn while our home sold in PA. We paid $1400 for a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 car garage. It wasn't bad. The apartment had been redone and it was a decent location. It is right off of 7, so getting to the airport would take about 20 minutes. (depending on what time you had to be there)
Now...the only downside is there is nothing to do...There is a park behind the complex and they have a small gym and a rec room. But I mean in terms of night life-it's opposite of Reston Town Center.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Ok, I flew over to the area a few weeks ago to look for apartments. I looked at 10 different apartments around Dulles airport.

Here's what i found.

Centreville has a lot of good apartments. Decent area, lot's of strip malls, etc.

Ashburn had a few good apartments but they were full. Some of the apartments were right on college campus. Don't want to live on campus. A lot of them gave discounts for people that work at the airport.

Reston: Very cool area. I visited The Metropolitan apartments. It was very expensive, like 1550 for lower levels and 1850 for higher floor apartments. Most apartments in Reston were more expensive.

I did not visit Leesburg because it was a bit far away from Dulles. I also did not visit Manassas because it seems to be a "low rent" area.

I think i'm going to live in Centreville because of the location. I'm looking at two apartments, one is Post Corners and the other is Woodway at Trinity Center. They are right next to each other across from the Giant supermarket.

Has anyone lived at either of these locations or know someone who has?

Last edited by superfly851; 03-24-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia