Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,181 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to NoVA (from San Francisco bay area), and would really appreciate your advice/ suggestions.

Here is my situation:
- We are a young family with a new born
- We intend to settle in NoVA for a foreseeable future (so good schools @ all levels, and safety are important)
- My work will be in Reston (And, I would prefer to be close to the Dulles Tech corridor for any future job options)
- I have family in Germantown MD (So anything between Germantown and Dulles area should be OK).

And we are looking for:
- A 3+ Bd SFH in the 400k (max 450) range
- Good school district
- Quiet, safe neighborhood

I've been following the discussions in this forum and looks like Loudon county is a good bet. We are visiting NoVA in October and I'm planning to spend a day (or 2 max) to drive around and take a look. Can you please suggest some areas that I can visit, and also suggest what to look for during my visit? And yes, I'm a 1st time buyer, so I can soak-in all the advice you've got.

Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:15 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBoy View Post
We are planning to move to NoVA (from San Francisco bay area), and would really appreciate your advice/ suggestions.

Here is my situation:
- We are a young family with a new born
- We intend to settle in NoVA for a foreseeable future (so good schools @ all levels, and safety are important)
- My work will be in Reston (And, I would prefer to be close to the Dulles Tech corridor for any future job options)
- I have family in Germantown MD (So anything between Germantown and Dulles area should be OK).

And we are looking for:
- A 3+ Bd SFH in the 400k (max 450) range
- Good school district
- Quiet, safe neighborhood

I've been following the discussions in this forum and looks like Loudon county is a good bet. We are visiting NoVA in October and I'm planning to spend a day (or 2 max) to drive around and take a look. Can you please suggest some areas that I can visit, and also suggest what to look for during my visit? And yes, I'm a 1st time buyer, so I can soak-in all the advice you've got.

Much appreciated!
You are correct that Loudoun County will be where you're most likely to find homes in your price range. Both Ashburn and Sterling would be a convenient commute. Others who live in the area can expound more on the specific communities.

It might also be worth taking a look at Centerville and Chantilly in Fairfax County. While Loudoun County schools are certainly no slouches, Fairfax County Public Schools are considered to be one of "the" best in the country. And you'd have a slightly shorter ride to weekend family visits in MD.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,965,718 times
Try homesdatabase.com for your search and look in the 20165 zip code, you will find some homes in your price range. The schools are excellent, friendly community. Close to Algonkian Park, which is on the Potomac River for boating and fishing, a public golf course and there are walk/jog paths throughout the community. Also community pools and tennis courts.

Convenient to Reston, Herndon, and many tech jobs in the area. The state also has a home loan program with many options available, some with very little money down, at vhda.com.

I have lived here since 1992, my daughter and son in law live here, and my grandchildren attend school here. Google Countryside VA or Cascades VA and you will find a lot of information about the area.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,181 times
Thanks a lot Tone509 and Margery!! Really appreciate your advice.

Are there any particular areas/ neighborhoods in the Chaltilly/ Centerville area that I should avoid (safety, quality of life issues)?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,965,718 times
I am forbidden by fair housing law to comment on neighborhoods, however you might ask separate questions about each community and people will chime in with their opinions.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I am forbidden by fair housing law to comment on neighborhoods, however you might ask separate questions about each community and people will chime in with their opinions.
If you don't mind my asking does that same law apply to police officers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia