Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

I've always heard the difference was that suburbs have businesses and office buildings. You can live and work in the same suburb. (Herndon would be an example of this). Exurbs are strictly bedroom communities where everyone has to commute to another city.

But where's the dividing line? I tend to think the line right now is Leesburg. Anything east of Leesburg is suburb, anything west is exurb. OTOH I've also heard people talk about buying a house out in the exurbs and they're talking about Falls Church.

Any opinions?
The only def I can find says that exurbs are beyond suburbs where rich people live. However the Urban Planner in me feels the exurbs are low density, Upper Middle and Higher Class income (say 160K annually in this metro), populated by primarily larger than average SFH, where the family doesn't have a day to day life revolving around the older urban core (in our case DC proper). In my day-to-day life (grocery shopping/Drs/Bank/Shopping Mall/Etc), I would say any area outside the Beltway is exurban. To me. Reston/Herndon/Chantilly is waaaaay out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,132,771 times
I like your definition (the family doesn't have a day to day life revolving around the older urban core). That's certainly true for us here in Herndon. We rarely have a reason to go east of Tysons. My entire family lives, works, and plays within a few miles of our house.

Funny, though, that exurbs would then stretch all the way from the Beltway to West Virginia. That's a very large area of different types of communities. It seems odd to have one term covering them all.

I also thought your point that saying "exurb" connotes wealth was interesting. I think you're absolutely right, there's something swanky about the word exurb. So what do we call the lower income areas?

Whether or not they're outside the beltway, somebody ought to come up with a term that distinguishes the exurbs with commercial areas vs. the ones that are strictly residential. At least that makes sense to me.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,989,410 times
LOL, maybe that's why I'm not fond of the word exurb. To me it sounds a bit pretentious. You can practically hear money dripping from it, and is that how we should distinguish communities?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have lots of money in Loudoun. And I know it's just an innocent word that means outlying areas. But it sounds so pompous. I can't see myself saying I live in an exurb. If I started talking that way I'd expect people to think, "Well.... la-dee-dah! What, are you too snooty to claim you live in an ordinary suburb?"

To me, it's all just suburbia until you start hitting masses of cornfields.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM

660 posts, read 1,707,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, I totally agree.

On a somewhat related point, do you guys consider Loudoun suburban or exurban? Or half and half (that would be my vote).

But where's the dividing line? I tend to think the line right now is Leesburg. Anything east of Leesburg is suburb, anything west is exurb. OTOH I've also heard people talk about buying a house out in the exurbs and they're talking about Falls Church.

Any opinions?
Brookings Institution did a study of exurbs in the United States in 2006. Fortunately (and unsurprisingly) for us, one of their maps was of census tracts in the DC/Baltimore metropolitan areas.

On page 18 of http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2006/10metropolitanpolicy_berube/20061017_exurbia.pdf you can see a map of how they defined exurban Washington based on population density, population growth, and commuting patterns. As you thought, Caladium, the dividing line was roughly Leesburg, although Great Falls and Clifton in Ffx County qualified as exurbs, too.

Page 20 even goes so far as to say that Loudoun County, taken as a whole, has passed beyond the exurban stage of development. I would say congrats, but I'm sure not everyone would agree

Last edited by Stephen 81; 11-04-2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Added an additional sentence

Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,319,066 times
Exurbs (Wikipedia)

Quote:
The expression exurb (for "extra-urban") was coined by Auguste Comte Spectorsky in his 1955 book The Exurbanites to describe the ring of prosperous communities beyond the suburbs that are commuter towns for an urban area. Most exurbs serve as commuter towns, but most commuter towns are not exurban.

Exurbs vary in wealth and education level. Exurban areas typically have much higher college education levels than closer-in suburbs, and have average incomes much higher than nearby rural counties. Depending on local circumstances, some exurbs have higher poverty levels than suburbs nearer the city. Others (like Loudoun County, Virginia outside Washington, D.C. and Ozaukee County, Wisconsin near Milwaukee) have some of the highest median household incomes in their respective metropolitan areas.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,989,410 times
Wow, we made it into Wikipedia? That's too funny. Mapmakers still don't know most of our towns exist, but Wikipedia's heard of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: