Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

Trees - trees - and more trees are just one of the reasons that the South Lakes area of Reston is special.

All of the following photos were taken within 3/4 mile radius of South Lakes High School.

Here is South Lakes High School and South Lakes Drive.

Here are a few detached single family homes - note we have sidewalks!

Lots and lots of townhomes of all different styles.

Townhomes on Lake Thoreau

Condos on Lake Thoreau too!

More condos that are not on the water.

Community deck over looking the woods.

The extenstive trail system has underpasses to keep foot traffic off the road.

South Lakes shopping center has as the important S's, Starbucks, Subway, Safeway!
Cafesano is my favorite dining establishment to walk to for Friday night dinner.
The shopping center also has banking, drug store, flower shop, gas station, dry cleaners, frame shop, and pet store.

Across from the shopping center are the senior condos and more townhouses.

Fairfax connector serves the area with several bus routes.

Boat ramp on Lake Audubon

Townhomes on Lake Audubon

Detached Single Family homes too!

Pathway along Glade Drive

Townhomes on their own little pond.

The Walker Nature Center with natural and paved paths through the woods and along the Snakeden branch and Glade stream.

Building the New Nature House at the Walker Nature Education Center.

Tennis courts (Har-Tru American Clay), swimming pool, and community building at Soapstone and Glade.

Another underpass to take me home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Another underpass to take me home.

Clarence Stein and Henry Wright would be proud.

Nice photo tour. Seems like a very interesting place. I love the trees...they're everywhere!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Clarence Stein and Henry Wright would be proud.

Nice photo tour. Seems like a very interesting place. I love the trees...they're everywhere!
Yes. The extensive tree canopy has been one of the few things keeping me sane living in Reston.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Beautiful photos, and great job showing us all the aspects of living in your neck of the woods.

Love the photos of Walker Nature Center (and especially the one of the place under construction). That's one of my favorite spots in Reston.

One thing I like about the condos on Lake Thoreau is the builders there did a good job designing the units so that most of the resident would have views of the lake (not just the ones living right along it). I have a friend who lives there. She's not on the lake and her condo is not large or deluxe, but she still has a nice view.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM

247 posts, read 687,793 times
These are nicely done. The single family home shots you took are my neighbors right across the street from our house! Great seeing our neighborhood highlighted so nicely.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:40 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Very nice, photos! I'll have to do a tour of Vienna soon. :-) I had a friend who used to rent a house on Lake Audobon. It was so nice hanging out on the lake.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Very nice, photos! I'll have to do a tour of Vienna soon. :-) I had a friend who used to rent a house on Lake Audobon. It was so nice hanging out on the lake.
YES!!! Photo tours are spreading like a virus! Normie and I started, then cdmurphy got inspired, then JFromReston, and now you too! Maybe we can egg on our moderator to do a Del Ray Photo Tour?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I love your pictures of Lake Thoreau - the reflections in the water are crystal clear! I have some friends who live in Reston, and their townhouse area reminds me of treehouses.

I worked on Campus Commons Drive in 1999-2000, and we loved being so close to South Lakes Shopping Center for lunch. Roy Rogers, yum! It was much less crowded than McTacoHut, which was really our only other option.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
YES!!! Photo tours are spreading like a virus! Normie and I started, then cdmurphy got inspired, then JFromReston, and now you too! Maybe we can egg on our moderator to do a Del Ray Photo Tour?
I'll maybe try to do a Landmark Mall/West End area tour. Why not get Alexandria City's third most popular area behind Old Town and Del Ray?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Has anyone done a photo tour of Cameron Station yet? I keep hearing about it on this forum (the NOVA section) but I don't think I've seen any pics. All I know is that by the Google Maps aerials it looks pretty massive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia