Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 152,720 times

Advertisements

From the Loudoun Alert system:

"Loudoun County, Virginia- The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office will conduct a sobriety checkpoint in the Dulles South area. The ultimate goal of the sobriety checkpoint is to ensure the roads are safe for all motorists by achieving voluntary compliance with the drinking and driving laws.

The sobriety checkpoint will be held Saturday, July 18, 2009, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. The Sheriff’s Office designed the checkpoints to raise public awareness and to discourage impaired driving.

Members of the Sheriff’s Office Auxiliary Unit and volunteers from the Loudoun Chapter of MADD will assist with the checkpoint
."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Wonderful news! While I myself often cruise by at 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit I can not think of a single excuse that would justify risking not only your own life but the lives of others around you by driving while intoxicated.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wonderful news! While I myself often cruise by at 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit I can not think of a single excuse that would justify risking not only your own life but the lives of others around you by driving while intoxicated.
I agree...

I also think the LCPD need to be more discreet about future sobriety checkpoints. Maybe this is a PR stunt; just letting the Community "hey were still here." In addition, the County Police are probably trying to justify their existance. Nothing wrong with both senarios either. A show of force is always a good thing.

I still stand on my opinion that there's too many police pulling over innocent drivers for minor violations in Fairfax. I mean, disobeying a traffic sign is the bigges BS charge on the planet. See, there's too many cops, and not enough action. Fairfax traffic cops have stooped to such a low level, they're getting an adrenaline rush out of stopping old laides for disobeying a traffic device. Too Agressive? Yes

Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM

47 posts, read 97,231 times
Yes, this is a wonderful allocation of resources (heavy sarcasm). Lets see how similar checkpoints in Fairfax have done (credit to VAPerson on reddit for the sources):

427 people stopped, 2 DWI Sobriety Checkpoint Results*- Fairfax County, Virginia
792 people harassed, 2 DWI arrests Sobriety Checkpoint Results in Reston Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia
537 people harassed, one DWI arrest Sobriety Checkpoint Results in McLean Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia
849 people harassed, one DWI arrest Sobriety Checkpoint Results in Mount Vernon Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia
735 people harassed, 2 DWI arrests Sobriety Checkpoint Results in Mount Vernon Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia

3340 people illegally searched, 8 ticketed for DUI. Lets stop pretending this is a safety check, and call it what it really is .. a revenue generating way to violate constitutional protection from illegal search and seizure. These are eerily similar to the "seatbelt checkpoints" that are also another excuse to violate constitutional rights. MADD is an utter disgrace and a perfect example of a special interest having a detrimental influence on public policy.

Last edited by cville<>centerville; 07-18-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
Yes, this is a wonderful allocation of resources (heavy sarcasm). Lets see how similar checkpoints in Fairfax have done (credit to VAPerson on reddit for the sources):

427 people stopped, 2 DWI Sobriety Checkpoint Results*- Fairfax County, Virginia
792 people harassed, 2 DWI arrests Sobriety Checkpoint Results in Reston Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia
537 people harassed, one DWI arrest Sobriety Checkpoint Results in McLean Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia
849 people harassed, one DWI arrest Sobriety Checkpoint Results in Mount Vernon Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia
735 people harassed, 2 DWI arrests Sobriety Checkpoint Results in Mount Vernon Police District*- Fairfax County, Virginia

3340 people illegally searched, 8 ticketed for DUI. Lets stop pretending this is a safety check, and call it what it really is .. a revenue generating way to violate constitutional protection from illegal search and seizure. These are eerily similar to the "seatbelt checkpoints" that are also another excuse to violate constitutional rights. MADD is an utter disgrace and a perfect example of a special interest having a detrimental influence on public policy.

That is ALARMING...... Wow

Old 07-18-2009, 03:40 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post

I think the low arrest figures PROVE that sobriety checkpoints are effective. News of them travels like wildfire and either the drunks don't drive or they take another route.

Why do you think the police advertise the checkpoints? It's for the deterrent effect! If revenue generation was the motive, wouldn't they want motorists to NOT know about their checkpoints?

And dude, the US Supreme Court has ruled that sobriety checkpoints are legal...that makes them LEGAL, regardless of your opinion.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 PM

56 posts, read 134,074 times
I actually know several police officers who consider them a waste of time. They believe they can get better results by staking out bars and watching people leave. Drunks tend to act rather noticeably.

I'm not a big fan of drunk drivers. I think the penalties should be harsh, both in terms of jail/prison time and money. I think you have the right to get as blotto as you want, at home, a bar, a friend's house, wherever. You just need to give the keys to someone else before you get behind the wheel of a 2-ton piece of metal and hurt someone.

Also, I think that while the SCOTUS ruled (6-3) that these checkpoints are legal, it doesn't mean that they are right. The dissenting opinions in that ruling seem much more in line with the Constitution. Rights are very rarely taken away wholesale. They are often chipped away, bit by bit, in the name of "public safety".

Just my $0.02

Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
News of them travels like wildfire and either the drunks don't drive or they take another route.
This is why I personally disagree with local law enforcement announcing in advance where and when they will be targeting potential DUI offenders. How many just continued on their merry way on another route after reading that or being warned by others at the bar?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Why do you think the police advertise the checkpoints? It's for the deterrent effect! If revenue generation was the motive, wouldn't they want motorists to NOT know about their checkpoints?
LOL, good point! I like the way they use cameras as deterrents, too (the cameras aren't actually turned on, but something about seeing a camera makes people behave). Also, every once in awhile you hear about the police car parking squad cars on a median with a dummy inside it. Even though people know it's fake, they tend to drive better.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKnightt View Post
....Also, I think that while the SCOTUS ruled (6-3) that these checkpoints are legal, it doesn't mean that they are right...

But the poster I was addressing did not say that sobriety checkpoints are not "right"....he said they are "illegal". I was merely pointing out that the Supreme Court has ruled otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia