Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 AM

106 posts, read 240,132 times

Advertisements

I have left my car parked on street parking (S George Mason Drive near the Seminary Rd intersection) The car is parked legally and completely within the posted parking sign. I have left the car there for about 2 weeks without moving it but I come to it this morning and noticed two tickets. One for an expired inspection sticker and the other for "WMATA Property Parking Violation - 82-5-39). The first is justified as I have not got time to get around to inspecting the car but the second one I do not understand. There is a Metro stop post within 10-12 feet of the post for no parking. Both of these are official posts. Why would the Metro stop post be within the legal parking post if it is a parking violation as described by Fairfax County to park in a bus stop area? I have been taking this bus route at this stop for 4 years and both of these posts have been around much longer. Should I dispute this ticket?

< legal parking < (bus stop) (my car) (parking post) > no parking >

_________|_/o---o\_|_______

Mind you this is a VERY HOT parking spot and cars constantly park illegally and legally on this curb-side parking and I get the feeling it was out of jealousy that some person reported my car to the county police as an abandoned vehicle. The ticket was issues at 2:44pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,336,845 times
Do FFX County and Metro have different parking laws

Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 AM

You think this makes a difference? I use that bus stop every day and I have never seen a car parked there legally within the post that received a ticket.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 AM

I just called WMATA and they have no idea if the laws are the same but they told me that a Bus Zone spans 100 ft. and "whoever put that parking post there was wrong". 9:06 AM. If this is true it seems that this little detail has been ignored for many years. But there may be more to it than that as this is a street parking and not a bus terminal area.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 AM

Do you know anything about the service offered by www freeparkingticket com

Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
I just called WMATA and they have no idea if the laws are the same but they told me that a Bus Zone spans 100 ft. and "whoever put that parking post there was wrong". 9:06 AM. If this is true it seems that this little detail has been ignored for many years. But there may be more to it than that as this is a street parking and not a bus terminal area.
Sounds like a Meter Maid was not to happy that day, and sounds like it was an experienced one.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 AM

628 posts, read 1,935,377 times
Sounds to me a judge would relieve you of the fine--if you accurately describe the situation. I would take photos and make some diagrams and appear in court. My impression is that judges are sympathetic to citizens who are victims of government snafus.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks. I just sent FFX Police and email. At least when you contest a ticket they freeze the fine until the court date.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 AM

OMG! I got off the bus yesterday and after dinner I went to move my car to get it inspected and what did I see? ANOTHER TICKET! There is definitely some irradiated person who keeps calling the police. So the first ticket was dated on the 18th and when I got to the car the next day the otehr ticket was dated for the 19th and of course it was at 1:41pm. But I have gotten it insnpected and parked my car in my mom's driveway. This is next to the worse thing about the area I live in. Whats more is the car that parked in my exact space had an expired inspection sticker too Isn't that funny? Well, I am going to think about waisting precious time from my life and calling the police everyday on cars parked there.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
OMG! I got off the bus yesterday and after dinner I went to move my car to get it inspected and what did I see? ANOTHER TICKET! There is definitely some irradiated person who keeps calling the police. So the first ticket was dated on the 18th and when I got to the car the next day the otehr ticket was dated for the 19th and of course it was at 1:41pm. But I have gotten it insnpected and parked my car in my mom's driveway. This is next to the worse thing about the area I live in. Whats more is the car that parked in my exact space had an expired inspection sticker too Isn't that funny? Well, I am going to think about waisting precious time from my life and calling the police everyday on cars parked there.
Don't park your car there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia