Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 14,409 times

Advertisements

We could really your advice . My wife and I have job prospects at the Department Of The Interior in Reston, Va and George Mason University, both in Fairfax county. If we accept the positions and relocate we want to buy a home within ~20-30 minute commute from both work locations. I'm guessing that we could probably swing ~650K for a home at an absolute MAXIMUM. Are there any nice areas in this price bracket near parks or open space that fits the commuting time constraint? We currently live in Colorado and are facing some anxiety about the level of traffic, cost of living etc. in NOVA, and also leaving Colorado's recreational opportunities behind. What are your thoughts? Are we CRAZY to consider moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,116,952 times
If you had said that you were looking for better employment opportunities then I would recommend coming to NoVA, but if you are seeking a change because of traffic and high cost of living in CO, I'm not sure this area is for you. You'll find more traffic and higher cost of living here. I do think that you can find a home in your price range within your parameters for commuting distance. If you haven't done so already, try using one of those online calculators to compare the two cities and cost of living based on your current salaries and what you anticipate getting in NoVA. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:45 PM

798 posts, read 2,734,499 times
I am relocating to NOVA in the near future as well and lived there for a short time previously. One of the things we did enjoy was the out door space in the communities around the city. Lots of walking/jogging/bike paths and parks in the area. Traffic is a pain as you know but you should be able to find something you are very happy with in your price range in my opinion.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,546,562 times
Fairfax and Reston are less than 15 miles apart. Living anywhere in between the two will meet your general commuting requirements. A principle target will be the areas on the north side of Oakton and Vienna, which are predominantly wooded, rolling, spacious lands through which runs the 50-mile long W&OD Trail for some of the best hiking, biking, and blading available anywhere. Some of the properties in this area will be above your price limit (some by quite a lot) but others will not be. If you have an eye for the somewhat rustic without giving up the niceties of the big city, this area could be a very nice option for you. From there, you could be in downtown DC in under an hour, you'll have premier-level shopping within a 20-minute drive, and you'll have your choice of literally dozens of top-notch restaurants if you feel like catching a meal out. What's not to like! Well, there is the traffic, which is bad even there during rush hour, but since you don't at all have far to go, it won't be the killer problem that it is for many other folks...

Old 04-05-2007, 11:39 PM

359 posts, read 1,842,412 times
I grew up in Va and lived in Ft Collins and Loveland for 2+ years. I love Va. It is stunningly beautiful, but I would not move from Co to Northern Va. NoVa has THE WORST traffic in the entire universe. Denver, Colorado Springs is a cakewalk in comparison.

True, Colorado has a more "outdoors" mentality. Also Va has major humidity compared to CO, making summer outdoor activities very uncomfortable for even healthy people. If you are serious, then at least visit first, not just a weekend either. Stay a week.

In all honesty, though, I am not sure...

Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 AM
VSB

170 posts, read 799,896 times
Default There's no perfect answer

As someone who has lived in Virginia and longed to live in Colorado, of course it sounds crazy. But I don't think it's crazy at all . . .

1. It sounds like the job opportunities for you and your wife are significant or else you wouldn't have considered moving in the first place. Jobs are obviously important, but no one can gauge the importance of career better than you.

2. In my view, Virginia is one of the most beautiful states in the country. If you've ever flown into Dulles, you've probably noticed just how GREEN it is when you take a gander out the window. It's remarkable just how wooded and "lush" Virginia is whenever I return. In many respects Virginia is just as beautiful as Colorado, though the beauty is quite different. For example, you're never going to see anything like Independence Pass in Virginia. The mountains are smaller, less rocky, and more forested. However, there are amazing vistas and tons of hikes (increasingly as you head west towards the blue ridge). Friends of ours are part of this: http://www.nvhc.com/ and we would be too if we still lived there. We still have pictures of the blue ridge mountains hanging on our walls and we live a 1000 miles away now.

3. The biggest thing you lose (in my view) is skiing. We are very avid skiers and there's really nothing in or around NOVA to satiate any serious skier (except for cross country stuff). There are a couple of hills in West Virginia that are good enough for a beginner or advanced intermediate skier (or family), but too small and dull for someone looking to expand their horizons. Cross Country skiing at White Grass is great, however: http://www.whitegrass.com/

4. Every other outdoor activity (biking, hiking, kayaking/canoing, and all the traditional sports) are equally (or near equally) available in Virginia as they are in Colorado. I think it really depends where your interests lie.

5. What everyone has already said about traffic in NOVA is true. It's terrible. But DC is a jewel. There's a reason why all those people live up there.

Where are you living in Colorado?

Best of luck in your move . . .

Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 AM
VSB

Default Addendum

The one really limiting factor for you will be location. GMU and Reston are probably 30 minutes away from each other (since there's no direct highway route). Vienna would be great but I bet it'll cost you every bit of $650K to get something you like. Since we're out of the game there now, that last part is best left to locals.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 AM
VSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmflan View Post
NoVa has THE WORST traffic in the entire universe. Denver, Colorado Springs is a cakewalk in comparison.
Have you ever visited or lived in LA?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 AM

743 posts, read 3,909,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
Have you ever visited or lived in LA?
I think DC generally is #2 on the list of worst traffic in the US (With LA being #1 of course)

Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 128,226 times
You won't have any trouble finding a home in your price range. There are plenty of homes in Fairfax, and even Northern Prince William County that would be within 20-30 minutes drive. We live in Lake Ridge, and my Husband makes it to work in Fairfax, in about 30 minutes. He drives right past George Mason on Route 123, and they are in the process of widening it, and when that's complete, it will be an even better commute. There are a few older communities, where there are woods behind houses, but most of the newer communities are more in the open, and don't have as much privacy. It depends on what your preference is. As far as parks goes, Right along 123 is Burke Lake Park. They have a train and carosel there, a few playgrounds, mini golf, fishing, boating ect. Also in PW County there is Lake Ridge Marina, and a little farther south is Prince William Forest Park. Your Best bet is to find an area that keeps you off Route 95, or 66. It'll be hard to get anywhere in 30 minutes. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia