Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM

55 posts, read 186,269 times

Advertisements

We were thinking we'd need to drive to the Vienna metro and go from there. At what time does the Vienna metro fill up? Are they planning to expand the metro down 66?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,967,717 times
No, metro will not expand down rt66. I don't know how early you would have to get to the metro. Oakton can be difficult to commute from because the roads all back up when trying to get to rt66. It can take 30 minutes from parts of Oakton just to get ON rt66. Vienna and Falls Church are better locations.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks. I did a little research after posting and saw that they are expanding metro to Loudoun via the silver line. I tried driving to the metro from Oakton and got stuck on the parking lot aka 66. I'm also somewhat offended by the enourmous monstrosities people call homes in that area. Sorry if that's offensive, but I just don't 'get it'. Why would anyone want a house that big.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,347,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neighborhoodfind View Post
Thanks. I did a little research after posting and saw that they are expanding metro to Loudoun via the silver line. I tried driving to the metro from Oakton and got stuck on the parking lot aka 66. I'm also somewhat offended by the enourmous monstrosities people call homes in that area. Sorry if that's offensive, but I just don't 'get it'. Why would anyone want a house that big.

It's not offensive, it's true. Wait until the natural gas prices skyrocket again, you will see people paying over $1,000/month to heat their homes.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,967,717 times
What's wrong with people owning whatever car/house/dog/ that they choose? Why would you care how someone else chooses to live?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,268,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
What's wrong with people owning whatever car/house/dog/ that they choose? Why would you care how someone else chooses to live?
Agreed. You do you.

I live in Oakton and can get to the Vienna metro without getting on 66. So just take the regular roads to get there and you'll be fine.

Hmmm...there are some large mansions but not all of Oakton is like that. I live in a cluster of condos and townhouses, I like it out there.

Now driving into the city is another story. Could take 45 minutes to an hour. I don't work in the city but fairly close in Arlington. I used to take 50 all the way down to Glebe and it took 45 minutes. Then I started taking 50 to the Beltway and up 395. Still a stressful commute but it cut ten minutes off my overall commute.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM

269 posts, read 1,004,059 times
What type of people live in Oakton? I know that while doing my research to try and find a suitable place to live in Fairfax County, a co-worker suggested Oakton, but it seemed kinda expensive so I didn't give it much thought. Are those "show-off" type people who live around there? Also, how does Oakton differ from Chantilly? I'm just trying to get "a feel" for the Western part of Fairfax County, as I live in Burke/West Springfield area and have never been that-aways.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 PM

84 posts, read 288,363 times
The Vienna Metro parking filled up by 7:30 back when I used it (two years ago)

Oakton is just a zip code in Fairfax County.. there are Townhouses & condos near the Metro and large homes on acreage West of the Metro.. History, back in the 70s Fairfax County was trying to control run away development so they slowed down sewer construction (no sewers, no sub divisions) Oakton had no sewers so houses required enough land to support a septic system so now Oakton (like Clifton & Fairfax Station) are known for their large, nice homes.. all because of sewers, or the lack of..

Vienna and Fairfax addresses (also in Fairfax County) are across the street from much of Oakton..

Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 AM

722 posts, read 1,985,879 times
That's an interesting bit of history!

A friend of mine lives in a townhouse in Oakton. There's nothing ostensibly wealthy about her or the immediate area where she lives; really, she only lives there because it's not a bad commute to Tyson's. It seems like a nice enough place to live, especially with a family (great schools, quiet, safe, etc.), and it's realtively close-in. As you know, commute is everything around here...so it all adds up to make Oakton pricey.

If you drive on 123 toward Vienna, you pass right through Oakton. They have a really nice Giant over there that was just remodeled.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM

terrence, which roads do you take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia