Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:14 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern VA and if you have read my other posts you see I am down on the area. One thing that really drives me nuts about living in Fairfax County (12 miles Southwest of Washington DC) is the Helicopters circling over the house 24/7. I watch them from the yard sometimes and they circle and circle very low to the ground. It appears they are on some type of patrol. I can not figure out who is in charge of this blue and white Helicopter. Who ever it is (Police, DOD, Homeland Security), they have no interest in lets us sleep at night. I hear them all night and it makes it hard to function during the day.

Anyone else have issues with these Helicopters flying low over the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I have never lived in northern Virginia, but your post caught my eye.
I *used* to live in central Denver, and the constantly circling helicopters there were one of the reasons I became disenchanted with that city. The noise and the feeling of constant surveillance really depressed me. I understand that they are fighting crime and increasing security, but ultimately it amounts to a lower quality of life.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:48 PM

566 posts, read 2,985,227 times
Not since I moved out of Fairfax county! Now all I hear at night are frogs, crickets and the occasional dog .

Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,859 times
The military patrols the area up to 50 miles from DC... We had the same thing down in Fredericksburg. It seemed like almost every day they would fly over.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
We do have a lot of helicopters here, but then we have the CIA, the Pentagon, the White House nearby. Not to mention the traffic reporters, the Coast Guard, the medical helicopters. My kids love it, and it honestly doesn't bother me. I'd be much more worried if they were circling with spotlights looking for escaped murderers from the local prison.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
it aint that bad. i live in the landmark area six exits from the pentagon and reagan national on 395 and i rarely hear anything.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:19 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,675 times
Annandale is inside the beltway. That is the specific reason for the majority of them. If you choose to live near the beltway, this is what you get. Most of the helicopters are traffic and police helicopters monitoring traffic.

Another reason helicopters fly low around areas is the high crime rate in particular locations. Medical transport is also very common if you live near a large hospital, say, like Fairfax hospital.

I live 5 miles from Dulles airport and we have planes constantly going over, but I got used to it very quickly. I knew when I moved here that the airport was nearby. Not sure what you want done about the helicopters.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 123,414 times
Someone in your area must have been overheard speaking ill of George W. Bush and they're out to find the unpatriotic b***ard and have him "questioned" by the CIA in some foreign country! I love my country but fear its government.

Seriously, I was looking in here for some posts about Washington DC for a trip I'm taking next week and found this one, very interesting about the helicopters. Is there a military base nearby? I've noticed traffic enforcement choppers flying about in VA and TN, but it sounds like they're looking for something particular around your area. If you're out in a rural area it might be a hunt for marijuana fields or other illegal doings. If there's any major hospitals nearby, it might be med-flights. We have choppers flying in to UK, Central Baptist and St. Joseph hospitals here all the time.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Paranoid much?

Big brother is not looking for you!
lol.

Traffic helecopers and News helecopers are a majority of them. Like the other poster said we also life flight LOTs of people to the Hospitals.

Military..walter Reed, Andrew airbase, Annapolis, Quantico marine base + FBI training, Ft Belvoir, Ft Lee, Bethesda naval, Anacosta navel, Diplomats, ETC ... oh yea, the dude that lives in that little place on PA ave...uses a helecopter ALOT.
Oh yea and AL Gore flying all around checking the earths fever.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Haha! A helicopter started hovering overhead when I was reading this thread. Gotta love irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia