Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to debate or justify the need for one, just looking for any recommendations on your system if you think it's a good one--and why.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,849 times
We have Dynamark. They're locally owned franchises, so usually when we have a problem (like when our motion detector needed to be replaced) we speak directly to the owner -- not some random person in another state. They're reasonably priced and we've been impressed with their customer service.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Default Thanks for the name--more

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrynh View Post
We have Dynamark. They're locally owned franchises, so usually when we have a problem (like when our motion detector needed to be replaced) we speak directly to the owner -- not some random person in another state. They're reasonably priced and we've been impressed with their customer service.

Can you tell me about your install? What type of mechanisms do you have? Wireless? Is it a perimeter or is there something on each door and window? I'm curious about the options.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,849 times
It's something on the windows and doors. The free install included 3 points of entry and one motion detector in the house. You can pay additional for more windows/doors, etc. Basically, what we do is set the motion detector when we leave the house, and when we're in for the night set the doors/windows. It took about a day for the installer to hardwire our house. Other extras you can get include the fire detection. THat costs more for the install, but doesn't cost any more for monitoring. Same goes for extra keypads, or a keyfob.

When we had the issues with the motion detector, someone was out the next day (I called on a Sunday). We pay $29.95 a month, and it was a 3 year contract.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:13 AM

30 posts, read 138,371 times
Default Has anyone installed your own security system?

We live in a decent neighborhood and I want to know if I can install my own system (hence not having to pay $30 a month). Have you done that or considered that? If yes, where do you buy the system and how much does it cost? Please also describe your system if possible. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_looking View Post
We live in a decent neighborhood and I want to know if I can install my own system (hence not having to pay $30 a month). Have you done that or considered that? If yes, where do you buy the system and how much does it cost? Please also describe your system if possible. Thanks.
Yes I have considered that.
Where did I buy it? Private Individual or Shelter.
How much does it cost? I paid $0 to $350
Describe my system - 3 dogs

Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 AM

30 posts, read 138,371 times
That's a good idea, but my wife is not warm to the idea of having a dog. Any other ideas?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_looking View Post
That's a good idea, but my wife is not warm to the idea of having a dog. Any other ideas?
My father installed them himself on the windows and doors. The window/door had a piece that would be installed next to the window/door. If the connection was broke an alarm would sound.

BUT, then, it wasn't connected into the police dept. This was 20 years ago, but the technology has to have improved, right?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 36,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm not looking to debate or justify the need for one, just looking for any recommendations on your system if you think it's a good one--and why.

Thank you!
3 European firms come to mind...

- Sig Sauer
- Heckler & **** - commonly referred to as (H&K)
- Glock

... there are numerous domestic firms to patronize as well...

some favorites being Colt, Bushmaster, or Smith & Wesson - of course depending on the type of residence for which security is required.

.... or you can pay the nice people on the TV a tidy sum each month and sleep with the false sense of security that someone will come to your rescue should (God forbid) you need immediate assistance in a life threatening situation.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 47,176 times
Or you can bring your car keys to bed and activate your panic button on the car if you hear something! and then hide unless you have weapons to defend yourself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia