Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
Although I do understand your reason for posting, would it be "racist" for a white person to post the exact same thing?
Not if someone were asking that question about PG County or another area with a majority-minority population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
On the contrary, a white person moving to PG County from, say, Utah, and inquiring about communities/schools with substantial white populations would likely be criticized as racist.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Not if someone were asking that question about PG County or another area with a majority-minority population.
Isn't majority-minority an oxymoron?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM

177 posts, read 456,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
You're not going to find a predominantly black upper-middle class community in Fairfax County as you would in PG County, because the affluent black population is much smaller and scattered across the county. The majority of students in the "best" high schools are white and Asian, with smaller numbers of Hispanics and blacks. (Mount Vernon, which has a 32% black student body, has some of the lowest test scores in the county). You research demographics and test scores on the FCPS website, and on the greatschools site, but I think you'll find that a higher black population comes with lower test scores.
I can't help you with the black hair salon question, but Alexandria is not really very far from the Springfield area.
This is a very telling statement. Does anyone have anything constructive to add to this line? Why is this the case in a supposedly affluent area? Is this a cultural issue or an economic issue?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Thank you for the links. So one of the biggest factors in the creation of the "achievement gap" is cultural in nature then? Low expectations set for black kids it seems? Am I wrong here?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
The "Myths Left Behind" link focused on Graham Road Elementary in the Falls Church area, where most of the students are children of Hispanic and Asian immigrants (with about 12% black and 10% white). The school has done some amazing things with these kids, but most of them aren't black. There are cultural issues aplenty in these populations, but they are different than the cultural issues facing most low-income black students.
And though Fairfax County is wealthy overall, there is a range of incomes, and the schools that serve the lower-income communities have lower test scores. You can take a look at the schools ranked by test scores, and the (inverse) correlation between incomes and test scores is unmistakable.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:05 PM

269 posts, read 1,002,170 times
Default Diversity is a Two-Way Street!!

Quote:
On the contrary, a white person moving to PG County from, say, Utah, and inquiring about communities/schools with substantial white populations would likely be criticized as racist.
Actually, I think it is perfectly reasonable to inquire about race even in the reverse situation, and trust me, people DO INQUIRE because I also spend time in the Maryland forum. The schools where I currently live are about 95% + black, and the schools where I lived a year ago, in Bladensburg/Brentwood/Hyattsville area of PG County inside the Beltway, were like 80% hispanic. If a white family from Iowa or Utah were moving to PG County, I'd probably recommend them to try Bowie or Laurel, which have about a 60% white population. WHY? Because I know that most White Americans are still very uncomfortable with being in the minority, and I understand that TRUE Diversity means having a mix of EVERYONE, and so a school that is 95% black is not really a diverse school. I think it's "okay" for a parent to weigh their concern for diversity as a factor of where to live. An honest straight-talk discussion about Diversity is not racist.

That said, I have seen in these forums how much North/Central Springfield and the area near the "mixing bowl" over by Springfield Mall gets bashed! People looking to relocate to that area get steered away towards Burke/West Springfield. Hmmm...wonder if that's got something to due with anti-Hispanic bias common in NOVA? Also, I read in Washington Post how Fairfax County is "cracking down" on illegal bording-houses, and we know they aren't targeting all the people in SFHs who house Grad Students from GWU in their basement-apartments! Hmm...I wonder why having a boarding house is only an issue when the residents have brown skin?

Last edited by Skapov; 12-29-2008 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The "Myths Left Behind" link focused on Graham Road Elementary in the Falls Church area, where most of the students are children of Hispanic and Asian immigrants (with about 12% black and 10% white). The school has done some amazing things with these kids, but most of them aren't black. There are cultural issues aplenty in these populations, but they are different than the cultural issues facing most low-income black students.
And though Fairfax County is wealthy overall, there is a range of incomes, and the schools that serve the lower-income communities have lower test scores. You can take a look at the schools ranked by test scores, and the (inverse) correlation between incomes and test scores is unmistakable.
So then there must be a correlation between income and ethnicity? Or not? I think I've taken this thread too far off its intended purpose. Thanks for indulging me.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Isn't majority-minority an oxymoron?
Touche' but I think you know what I meant. I guess I pick up too many new terms from newspapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia