Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 30,128 times

Advertisements

All,

I will be moving to NOVA this summer as my husband is in the military. I am currently a teacher in Colorado and have licenses in New Mexico and Texas as well. I also have a Master's degree and speak Spanish. I had a couple questions for anyone that might be a teacher or has taught in one of these districts. I am an elementary school teacher.

1. Should I depend totally on the automated application system that both districts have or use a more proactive approach? Suggestions?

2. What is the interview process like, I have experienced many, so I would like to be somewhat prepared before I go.

3. Is it mandatory to join the union in order to work as a teacher?

4. How are the teachers treated by the districts?

5. Knowing what you know now, what would you do differently if you were applying for a job now.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 AM

689 posts, read 1,617,563 times
I do not teach in these districts, but do know that they are among the most competitive in Virginia. That being said ,our Hispanic population is growing by leaps and bounds, so your skills will be highly desirable here. From friends, I have heard that you should definitely stay in touch. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:04 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,689,070 times
I'm not a teacher but here is the Fairfax County website, which you can browse through if you haven't already:

www.fcps.edu

Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 AM

25 posts, read 36,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin007 View Post
All,

I will be moving to NOVA this summer as my husband is in the military. I am currently a teacher in Colorado and have licenses in New Mexico and Texas as well. I also have a Master's degree and speak Spanish. I had a couple questions for anyone that might be a teacher or has taught in one of these districts. I am an elementary school teacher.

1. Should I depend totally on the automated application system that both districts have or use a more proactive approach? Suggestions?

2. What is the interview process like, I have experienced many, so I would like to be somewhat prepared before I go.

3. Is it mandatory to join the union in order to work as a teacher?

4. How are the teachers treated by the districts?

5. Knowing what you know now, what would you do differently if you were applying for a job now.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice!

I would join the Union, the interviewing process is very in depth and you will need to be licensed in Virginia before they will look at your resume. The automated system picks out certain words to pass on a resume. Spanish speaking will give you an edge or if you speak another language on top of Spanish. Loudoun County is a great place to work as is Fairfax.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:55 PM

406 posts, read 620,445 times
There are no teacher "unions" in Virginia, but you can join (and pay dues to) the Loudoun Education Association and I am sure Fairfax has something similar. They don't officially bargain contracts, etc but play an active role in the budget and other processes and offer benefits similar to a union in terms of legal representation.

I think the general advice is to be proactive and try to get yourself to the principals that are hiring and not sit back and wait for a call after submitting an online application

Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,689,070 times
Hmmm, well, this question was originally posted over eight years ago so presumably the O.P. has found a job by now ...

Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Hmmm, well, this question was originally posted over eight years ago so presumably the O.P. has found a job by now ...
If the OP applied to "Loudon School's", I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If the OP applied to "Loudon School's", I wouldn't bet on it.
That crap drives me up the wall. I can't tell you how many college educated people think that any word that ends in an -S needs an apostrophe. I can remember learning when a word is a possessive and not a possessive in like 3rd grade.

And I'm not even an English major.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
That crap drives me up the wall. I can't tell you how many college educated people think that any word that ends in an -S needs an apostrophe. I can remember learning when a word is a possessive and not a possessive in like 3rd grade.

And I'm not even an English major.
That's funny. I thought the other poster was referring to the missing "u".

Old 04-09-2015, 07:14 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's funny. I thought the other poster was referring to the missing "u".
Both the "u" and the apostrophe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: