Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM

38 posts, read 228,700 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for your help thus far! We are currently in NOVA and so far, have narrowed our search down to two places. If you live in/near Sterling (specifically Countryside/Lowes Island/Cascades/Potomac Lakes in 20165) or are familiar with the area, could you please help answer a few questions for us:

-What are the best public elem. school in the area (20165)
-Which neighborhoods would you most recommend and why (looking for safe, family friendly, SFL for under $550k)
-Is there a Target, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, Library, or large Bookstore in the area?
-In NON rush hour, how long does it take to get to downtown DC
-In traffic, how long does it take to get to Vienna/Tyson's Corner

Thank you thank you thank you for your time and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
You can't go wrong with any of the elementary schools in 20165. I am partial to Potowmack because my granddaughter is in second grade there and I hear more about it from her. She loves it and the teachers are very supportive. All of the stores you mentioned are there, in either the Cascades Town Center, Potomac Run Center or Dulles Town Center (which is in 20166, but very close). The Cascades Regional Library is in the Potomac Lakes Section of Cascades and there is also a large Home Depot there.

As far as driving to D.C., to the Smithsonian or the Mall area, I would allow about 45 minutes in non rush hour traffic. You could also park at the East Falls Church Metro station and take Metro, I don't know how long that would take but you won't have to look for a parking space once you are there. When I have a meeting at Tyson's it is usually at 8:30 or 9:00, I allow 45 minutes but sometimes it only takes half an hour. Any earlier than that it would be 45 minutes for sure. It is only 13 miles from my home, but there are a lot of lights on route 7 (Harry Byrd Highway).

As far as price goes, you will be able to find a home in your price range in any of the communities. Countryside homes tend to be a little older, but the neighborhoods there are all great. I have lived in 20165 since 1992 and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 PM

38 posts, read 228,700 times
Default thanks

Thanks so much

What is the nearest/best children's hospital and labor/delivery hospital to that area?

Thanks again- great help!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,412 times
Default countryside

Hi,
Just wanted to add my two cents. We moved to countryside in July after renting for a year in Ashburn and searching for months for somewhere to buy in Ashburn, other parts of Sterling and some of Cascades/Algonkian.
Everyone in Countryside is really friendly, it has been great so far and very safe and welcoming. What I like most about Countryside is the older feel of the neighbourhood - the trees are well established and it actually does feel like a countryside neighbourhood a lot more than the newer areas.
We live right near the cinema in Countryside, so we can walk to there and the surrounding restaurants and bars. We have have done this at night and always felt totally comfortable.
There is a Target about 1 mile down route 7. There is an Old Navy right across 7 at Dulles Town Center Mall which has most of the large chain stores (Gap, A&F, Hollister, Nordstrom, Macys, JC Penney etc)
There is a TJ Maxx about 2 miles away, and a Ross right by the target. There is a Borders bookstore in Countryside, another in Dulles Town Center and a Booksamillion by Target. Basically you will not need to go further than about 2 miles to get to most of the major stores.
In non rush hour I have driven to downtown DC in 45 minutes. In rush hour, it can sometimes take that long to get to Tysons.
I don't have kids but was careful when we bought to make sure we were in a good school zone - it seems like Countryside and Cascades feed to the same schools and are pretty well thought of.
I believe the nearest hospital is Inova Loudoun, although I have only been once at 1am for a twisted knee (my boyfriend) we were seen immediately and the staff were very friendly, the ER is very clean. I can't tell you about the birthing facilities but my little sister (5) broke her arm 3 weeks ago and went there to have it set and checked, my dad and step mum seem happy enough and they said the nurses were great with her.
You won't have a problem finding a place for 550k in either Countryside (which is also called Potomac Falls) or Cascades.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 PM

sorry, link for Inova Loudoun is: INOVA HEALTH SYSTEM : INOVA LOUDOUN HOSPITAL : Inova Loudoun Hospital (http://www.inova.org/inova_loudoun_hospital/index.jsp - broken link)
library page is here: Branches & Hours apparently there is one in cascades and one in sterling, i haven't been to either but the ashburn one is really nice.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM

595 posts, read 2,307,434 times
I saw a nice Th in 20165 for 169K, in case you would like to save the other 381K. It's a nice area, away from the Manassas, Woodbridge low-lifes. Rt. 7 is hell during RH, but there are ways to utilize the Toll Road. Also, watch out for lots of cops on Algonkian.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 PM

oh, and PPS! Driving to the metro (Falls Church or Vienna are both about 30 mins) in non rush hour traffic, then waiting for a train and travelling in (about 10-15 mins on the train, can be the same amount of time waiting for one) takes about the same amount of time as driving into DC. The only reason to do it is for free parking on the weekends, or in order to not have to find a parking space in DC, which can sometimes take forever on a weekend in the daytime. However if it is the evening, you can usually find a spot in DC for free on the street anyway fairly quickly.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Great questions. My favorite neighborhood is Lowes Island, it's close to everything including a lot of hiking trails and parks. Lowes Island Elementary gets top marks. A lot of people think it's the best school (but maybe that's because their kids go to school there )

The Cascades Library is an incredible facility--and it's also the place they hold most of the neighborhood meetings, as well as all sorts of social groups.

There are several bookstores--the best is probably Barnes & Noble or the Borders near Rt. 7 and Potomac View. There's also a fun used bookstore at Lake Anne Plaza, about 7 miles away.

You will find all the stores you named and then some in Cascades. Lots of chain stores here, mostly grouped in shopping plazas.

Others have answered the traffic question. Tysons is reasonable, downtown is a bit of a haul.

This is a wonderful place to raise a family. Welcome to Virginia.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
if you like chain stores, you'll love 20165

but be careful about referring to it as "Sterling", even though the area is unincorporated Loudoun County, identity crises tend to flare up among residents if you say the S word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia