Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 AM

1,520 posts, read 3,800,202 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
In my research of places related to possible job changes, I find myself looking at Reston again.

My impression 10 years ago was that it's a very politicized place to live, and though being outside the beltway, might still have urbanization problems.

So I was wondering, is it realistically possible to commute in from somewhere in West Virginia where those issues may be lessed by distance from D.C.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,024,104 times
What, specifically, are the urbanization problems you wish to avoid? The reason I ask is that a long commute can lead to some "urban" problems. But first--yes, there are people who commute from WV to Reston, and some of them love it. Usually they like the lower cost of living in WV. The bad news is, it's a long drive. A lo-o-ong drive.

You will face the urban problems of traffic, the economic stress of filling your gas tank all the time, and the general stress of spending hours every day in your car when you could be home enjoying your family, or maybe taking a walk in a nearby park.

The people I know who have moved there say there are some practical challenges to living in West Virginia. I think there may be some mild crime issues in towns like Martinsburg. You may not get the health care you desire. Be sure to check the WV forums for more info.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 AM

15,474 posts, read 25,941,959 times
Of course it is possible. It's a long way though.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
What, specifically, are the urbanization problems you wish to avoid? The reason I ask is that a long commute can lead to some "urban" problems. But first--yes, there are people who commute from WV to Reston, and some of them love it. Usually they like the lower cost of living in WV. The bad news is, it's a long drive. A lo-o-ong drive.

You will face the urban problems of traffic, the economic stress of filling your gas tank all the time, and the general stress of spending hours every day in your car when you could be home enjoying your family, or maybe taking a walk in a nearby park.

The people I know who have moved there say there are some practical challenges to living in West Virginia. I think there may be some mild crime issues in towns like Martinsburg. You may not get the health care you desire. Be sure to check the WV forums for more info.
Traffic and congestion surely rank high as something to avoid. A long but smooth drive beats a short stop-and-go scenario. I used to do the I-4 into Tampa many years ago. What a nightmare. Because there were some hills that could obscure traffic jams, you could crest a hill and need to slam in the brakes.

Was just looking at maps, yes I see it is a longer drive than I thought.

Another issues is the old saw about "When you are in D.C. you are never more than 3 minutes from the scene of a crime". I understand violent crime, etc. is very bad there.

So I'm basically trying to avoid accepting a job in the area if D.C. and Baltimore don't essentially stay in D.C. and Baltimore. That's about as straight up as I can be. I'm one of those folks that sees "urban" as a cussword synonomous with "blight", and consider the ideal to reach as estate living, as far a possible from such things.

But alas, being working class, I can't just pick a nice estate somewhere like Jupiter Island, Newport Beach, Laguna, or somewhere in Hawaii. (Tropical Estate living strikes me as the highest ideal, LOL! Oahu and Maui baby! )

Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,024,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Was just looking at maps, yes I see it is a longer drive than I thought.

Another issues is the old saw about "When you are in D.C. you are never more than 3 minutes from the scene of a crime". I understand violent crime, etc. is very bad there.
Ah, now I understand your concerns. I remember feeling the same way when I moved here. I have some good news: Reston is not anywhere near DC, and living there is not anything like DC. It is completely different, a suburban area with somewhat of an artsy flavor.

I saw your other post about DC store owners arguing with you about Israel. You won't run into too many people like that in Reston--it's more laid back (or, to put it another way, some people on this forum find it boring). It's quiet at night. You're more likely to meet soccer moms who go to art classes or volunteer at the Reston Museum.

If you live in Reston and work in Reston it's likely you will go into the city once or twice to do the tourist attractions, and then never have a reason to go there again. Stores, businesses, parks, hospitals, univiersities, etc. are all right there in Reston.

Suburban crime is not even remotely like the crime problems in DC. Reston's not perfect, of course--I wouldn't leave my car unlocked on the street for days at a time. Reston, being somewhat "urban" does have some petty crime. It varies from neighborhood to neighborhood--the police station can help you here. Nearby suburbs have lower crime rates. If this is an issue, consider Lowes Island (just a few miles north). That's where I am and I feel safe taking long walks at night. The biggest crime we've had in Lowes Island was when the kids tried skateboarding on the golf course.

Reston may be more urban that you would like. There's been a lot of condo towers and office buildings built there since 1999. The suburban areas around Reston may be more appealing to you. It's suburban, not rural, but there are a lot of parks and if you go up to Cascades or Countryside you're right next to the river.

Last edited by normie; 09-26-2008 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,917,724 times
you could also look at smaller towns in Loudoun county that are closer to REston than WVA. Leesburg, Purceville, Hamilton, etc...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM

So what's the story on car inspections/registration? Are emmissions inspections required? By Gov't or by privatized small businesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia