Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
msjack,

This will be the last time I address this topic with you publicly. If you want to state your opinion on something, there is a tactful way to do it. Whether intended or not, you are coming across abrasive and arguementative, and it's beginning to get this thread off topic. I have no problems with you stating your opinion. Opinions are what forums like this are based on. That's why we are all here right? All I'm asking is that before you post something, try reading it as if you were the other person. Only then will you see why I'm not the only one that feels you attacked me.

If you want to get the last word in and rebuttle my comments, go for it. You'll probably end up proving my point even more. Just know that I will not spend any more time publicly on this issue. If you want to continue to argue, please send my a private message. I have said my peace. Now let's just get on with the discussion of tipping movers.
I've been done with this when I said my peace yesterday. I'm over it, it's not even that serious. I honestly don't care if you do or don't tip. Do what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 PM

162 posts, read 543,391 times
Well now a days, there are too many movers. Which ones do you tip? For our upcoming move in 3 weeks, they are sending out 4 people to pack up our house for 3 days, and then they have a 5 man team coming out on the 4th day. Tipping will start getting expensive. I wonder if I can claim tips for the movers on my voucher after the move.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times
Quote:
Well now a days, there are too many movers. Which ones do you tip? For our upcoming move in 3 weeks, they are sending out 4 people to pack up our house for 3 days, and then they have a 5 man team coming out on the 4th day. Tipping will start getting expensive. I wonder if I can claim tips for the movers on my voucher after the move.
That is a lot of people! We had a team of 4 that packed us, I gave $20 per guy, gave it all to the head man and let him split it up. We had three that loaded and unloaded and I did the same, $20 again to each guy, even though they were the same guys.
It is expensive but, luckily for us, our moving expenses are paid for by my husband's company so I say we can handle a couple hundred bucks for their hard work.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
Quote:

When we moved here last fall there were only two people who moved us: the driver and a single helper. We moved from a good sized three bedroom house with two car garage and basement. Our contract was that we did all the packing ourselves ahead of time, so all the two guys did was pick up the boxes and furniture, and move us (big job by itself). From when they showed up at 8:00 that morning they had everyting loaded on the trailer in about seven and a half hours.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM

162 posts, read 543,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
When we moved here last fall there were only two people who moved us: the driver and a single helper. We moved from a good sized three bedroom house with two car garage and basement. Our contract was that we did all the packing ourselves ahead of time, so all the two guys did was pick up the boxes and furniture, and move us (big job by itself). From when they showed up at 8:00 that morning they had everyting loaded on the trailer in about seven and a half hours.
Now that sounds like a job I would have tipped. That's a lot of work for a team of 2. It's a lot easier to keep your eyes on 2 movers too. I do question the moving company's practice of allowing the customer to pack everything. Of course it behooves you to pack it well enough for it not to break. But if someone wanted to replace a tv, all they would have to do is not pack it well, then it breaks, then you get it replaced. That's a pretty big risk on the moving company's part. I'd like to hope most people would be honest, but if the thought popped into my mind (I think I'm an honset person), I'm sure it will pop into someone else's mind.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:55 PM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
I can't remember now, but I believe we had to sign a waiver stating that the moving company was not responsible for anything brekaing that we had packed outselves. When we unpacked here we were really surpised that besides one coffee cup, nothing was broken.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,425 times
Default As a mover

As a mover let me go over a few things. First off if you packed it and it breaks it's your responsibility. As for tipping the rule is always unless they do a bad job. 95% of customers make my job hard. Either they leave stuff in furniture making it heavier (I'm not superman), or they get to their new house and make me move a piece more than once because they couldn't think ahead and decide where they want their couch. Oh, and don't tell me how to pack the truck or how to carry something, I do it for a living. If you know better then you do it. Don't ask me if I do this everyday, do you think I just woke up that particular morning and decided I wanted to lift heavy stuff and not be appreciated for the care I take of said stuff. If you aren't ready to move and you don't have everything organized don't be surprised that the job takes longer because we have to sort through your mess. It's not my job to pack boxes unless you pay for that too. It's an additional service. Oh and don't ask us to take trash afterwards, we aren't garbagemen and we don't have a magic dumpster to put the stuff in. But back to tipping, we aren't putting food on your table or bringing your car to you, we're taking care of your belongings. BE NICE TO US! If your ikea table breaks don't get mad....it's a piece of crap, if it can't handle being lifted and a ride in a truck it's your fault for not getting decent furniture (if it's put together with an allen wrench then it's not that great). So if we do the best job we can then tip because as a business we could have left as soon as you started getting an attitude because you didn't like the way we lifted something. For an average job 20 bucks a mover is a good tip, but if we're there all day hook us up with more or at least some food because even though we're hourly we want to go home. We aren't thinking "man I'm making money off this person" we're thinking you have too much stuff. Oh and don't be an ass I've had a customer ask for us to not get sweat on her furniture. It's hard work and it's usually hot, and you've probably had worse on it. So please people I know I've rambled but just tip your movers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia