Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 11:45 AM

57 posts, read 47,975 times

Advertisements

I have been living in NoVA for almost two years now, and did my research just like you (although I ended up purchasing) with similar criteria. Reston is what I would recommend as a safe bet on your criteria (in all of NoVa).

You can definitely find older towns and apartments in Reston in your price range if youre on top of it (based on last year's prices), but prices skyrocket when you look at brand new buildings/townhomes in RTC. By old, I don't mean in bad shape, or bad neighbors. They are very nice places built from the 60s to the 90s. I would stick to Reston if you want young and safe.

Herndon, in my honest opinion, has sketchy areas and nice areas which I would not risk without thorough research, - but that's to be read in context: Herndon sits in the middle of a bunch of very nice suburbs, and compared to the area you mentioned in Arlington, or places elsewhere in NoVA (Manassas, Chantilly etc) or most parts of DC, Herndon is a great/safe area.

There is a lot of young people moving into all of the areas you mentioned, but Reston has a bigger base of young people given RTC and prices generally. Vienna is obviously the best on your list, and I see a lot of younger couples/families (30s) moving in but Vienna is comprised mostly of detached homes (I mean Vienna outside of Tysons Corner). If you cant find anything in Reston because of price, I would look into Sterling as well (a lot of younger couples at my work live there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 02:29 PM

158 posts, read 131,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVonian View Post
I have been living in NoVA for almost two years now, and did my research just like you (although I ended up purchasing) with similar criteria. Reston is what I would recommend as a safe bet on your criteria (in all of NoVa).

You can definitely find older towns and apartments in Reston in your price range if youre on top of it (based on last year's prices), but prices skyrocket when you look at brand new buildings/townhomes in RTC. By old, I don't mean in bad shape, or bad neighbors. They are very nice places built from the 60s to the 90s. I would stick to Reston if you want young and safe.

Herndon, in my honest opinion, has sketchy areas and nice areas which I would not risk without thorough research, - but that's to be read in context: Herndon sits in the middle of a bunch of very nice suburbs, and compared to the area you mentioned in Arlington, or places elsewhere in NoVA (Manassas, Chantilly etc) or most parts of DC, Herndon is a great/safe area.

There is a lot of young people moving into all of the areas you mentioned, but Reston has a bigger base of young people given RTC and prices generally. Vienna is obviously the best on your list, and I see a lot of younger couples/families (30s) moving in but Vienna is comprised mostly of detached homes (I mean Vienna outside of Tysons Corner). If you cant find anything in Reston because of price, I would look into Sterling as well (a lot of younger couples at my work live there).
Not sure what the OP meant by "safety" but compared to elsewhere I would say Sterling leans towards the unsafe than the safe when compared to most of what's around. I mean it's all comparative, someone in DC wouldn't think any part of NOVA was that unsafe. In reality outside of a few pockets Loudoun is totally safe, the difference is more the appearance and feel you get. Sterling, Herndon, Chantilly can have more of a car on blocks in the driveway feel than say Ashburn.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:32 PM

57 posts, read 47,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1320 View Post
Not sure what the OP meant by "safety" but compared to elsewhere I would say Sterling leans towards the unsafe than the safe when compared to most of what's around. I mean it's all comparative, someone in DC wouldn't think any part of NOVA was that unsafe. In reality outside of a few pockets Loudoun is totally safe, the difference is more the appearance and feel you get. Sterling, Herndon, Chantilly can have more of a car on blocks in the driveway feel than say Ashburn.
I should have categorized Sterling like I did Herndon, - with good and bad parts. I was thinking of the area around Potomac View/Cascades and Route 7, North of 7, NVCC has a campus there but keep driving more north on Potomac View or Cascades and you'll hit very nice areas / subdivisions, including townhomes. But I do agree with you that all of this depends on what is meant by "Safe", and compared to most places all of NoVa is safe in the general meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia