Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 10:03 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times

Advertisements

Virginia decades ago, charged a heavy toll on I-95 just between Richmond and Petersburg, as well as on the I-64 Tunnel between Hampton and Norfolk. Both tolls were later removed.

Plans are underway to get more frequent Amtrak service between D.C. and Richmond, but not for several years. A second rail crossing parallel to the existing Potomac rail bridge ("Long Bridge") will first have to be built, to give more capacity.

Fredericksburg is a bottleneck, partly because the city is a major shopping mecca for a large several-county region, and the Rappahannock River forms a barrier, so that people going short distances must get on either I-95 or Route 1, as there are no other alternate crossings.

The recent extension of VRE rail a few additional miles to Spotsylvania, with a commuter parking lot there, has helped a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:49 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Fredericksburg is a bottleneck, partly because the city is a major shopping mecca for a large several-county region, and the Rappahannock River forms a barrier, so that people going short distances must get on either I-95 or Route 1, as there are no other alternate crossings.

The recent extension of VRE rail a few additional miles to Spotsylvania, with a commuter parking lot there, has helped a little.
Same situation with Woodbridge and the Occoquan River. Passing those two on a weekend in the summer is a driver’s definition of Hell.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:53 AM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
I think the ideal solution to I-95 is a mix of road and rail projects.

The current plan to expand rail infrastructure and frequency of service between Richmond and D.C. is definitely a big step in the right direction.

As for the roads, I find further widening of I-95 less preferable than construction of a new long-distance bypass of D.C. and Baltimore that largely follows U.S. Route 301 between Carmel Church/Bowling Green and Wilmington. I know such a bypass is fanciful because I doubt Maryland would ever get on board. Heck, they're not even interested in adding bike/pedestrian lanes to the new Nice Bridge. However, effectively separating long-distance and local traffic would mitigate much of the problems along the I-95 corridor.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:01 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am against corporate tolls.
Many Virginians are but we are too cheap to pay for an untolled major road project on 95/495. I think it’s a reasonable alternative (compared to not adding any lanes) but not the golden ticket to solve our traffic woes.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:25 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
I think the ideal solution to I-95 is a mix of road and rail projects.

The current plan to expand rail infrastructure and frequency of service between Richmond and D.C. is definitely a big step in the right direction.

As for the roads, I find further widening of I-95 less preferable than construction of a new long-distance bypass of D.C. and Baltimore that largely follows U.S. Route 301 between Carmel Church/Bowling Green and Wilmington. I know such a bypass is fanciful because I doubt Maryland would ever get on board. Heck, they're not even interested in adding bike/pedestrian lanes to the new Nice Bridge. However, effectively separating long-distance and local traffic would mitigate much of the problems along the I-95 corridor.
LOL, the "new Nice Bridge ", you think bike lanes and a pedestrian walkway are the answer? No the merger between I-95 and 295 in Virginia is a sin as is the condition of the actual road itself , two lanes thru to NC is a joke. Hell even NC is widening 95 .Maryland has already done it.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
This is supposed to help, https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...assenger-rail/ but who knows how long it will take to happen. In the meantime has anyone noticed just how many new apartment complexes are undar construction in Fredericksburg? Where is everyone coming from to fill them and worse yet, how many more cars will it add to the roads, most likely headed north.
There is already existing rail service in NOVA via both Amtrak's Northeast Regional and VRE

Old 01-05-2020, 11:48 AM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, the "new Nice Bridge ", you think bike lanes and a pedestrian walkway are the answer? No the merger between I-95 and 295 in Virginia is a sin as is the condition of the actual road itself , two lanes thru to NC is a joke. Hell even NC is widening 95 .Maryland has already done it.
No, I don’t think bike lanes and a pedestrian walkway are the answer. You didn’t read the post carefully enough.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
There is already existing rail service in NOVA via both Amtrak's Northeast Regional and VRE
Yes. I know that. And it’s not enough. These plans are very much needed but will take years. I think they can help but in the meantime the population in and around Fredericksburg keeps growing. I often drive up 208 passed Spotsylvania Courthouse and someone is building all kinds of apartments out there. Where are the people coming from for them and more importantly where will their cars be going? Spotsy does not have an adequate transit system within the county once you are outside of Fredericksburg.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:28 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I95 doesn't need to be widened again, most traffic is heading north or southbound and needs to bypass the DC Metro in its entirety. An option would be to improve 301 from Bowling Green into Maryland it could then remerge into the beltway or cross Chesapeake Bay either on an improved Chesapeake Bridge or a new crossing a bit more south. Either crossing could then connect to Delaware Route 1 (a highway) that will take them back to I95 allowing them to continue on.

This route allows a complete bypass of the DC Metro and NOVA, depending on the reconnect to I95 it can bypass the Baltimore metro also. The route runs almost parallel and would not be out of the way think of the traffic reduction this would create.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I95 doesn't need to be widened again, most traffic is heading north or southbound and needs to bypass the DC Metro in its entirety. An option would be to improve 301 from Bowling Green into Maryland it could then remerge into the beltway or cross Chesapeake Bay either on an improved Chesapeake Bridge or a new crossing a bit more south. Either crossing could then connect to Delaware Route 1 (a highway) that will take them back to I95 allowing them to continue on.

This route allows a complete bypass of the DC Metro and NOVA, depending on the reconnect to I95 it can bypass the Baltimore metro also. The route runs almost parallel and would not be out of the way think of the traffic reduction this would create.
Amen. Replacing the current Harry Nice Bridge is a start. Last summer we were crazy to go to Ocean City Md over the July 4th weekend. Coming home on Sunday getting across the Bay Bridge was bad enough and I didn’t want to deal with DC and 95 south so we took 301 towards Fredericksburg. People bailing out of I-95 north had a FIVE mile backup trying to get across the Harry Nice Bridge. If it was a true bypass it would help so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia