Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM

254 posts, read 790,222 times

Advertisements

My husband will be relocating to Front Royal for a job and we're waiting (and hoping) for our house to sell. We have a middle school age child and we're wondering where is the best place to live. We're considering Stephens City, Centex Homes, less than $230K. We would rather not renovate since we don't have time nor extra money so we're considering buying a new house(hopefully we don't have to fix anything). We heard that the schools in Front Royal are not good so we crossed that out as well. Any other areas? There's also a lot of houses for sale so I'll probably be looking at those as well. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
I posted you a message in the other thread. You are on the right track moving into Frederick County rather than Warren County. Cheaper taxes and better schools. Is it the Wakeland subdivision you are looking into? If you check Winchester TV3's website, you can get some past reports are robberies in the area.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Job in Front Royal_Where to Live?

I will check that site tonight. Thanks. Is there any other areas near Front Royal that has decent schools? Linden? Lake Holiday? The realtor we're working with sends me info on some houses on that area as well.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Linden is in Warren County so that would be the same. Lake Holiday has good schools in Frederick County (I don't live too far from there), but I wouldn't move in there. You'll never get out. The HOA fee is $102 per month. Nice lake and they have a new clubhouse but that's about it. There is a $2000 cap fee you have to pay to buy in there. There are TONS of houses for sale in the development. It is far from everything in Winchester, about 30 minutes, and I think the commute to Front Royal would probably be too long for your husband. You can do a map search from Cross Junction where LH is located to Front Royal just to get a base idea how long it would take. Don't forget to take into account the traffic.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
Try Boyce, Virginia. It is in Clarke County, which has excellent schools, and I think is is less than half hour from Front Royal. Pretty country, and close enough to get in to D.C. to see the museums and memorials.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Yes, Boyce is nice. Clarke County has higher taxes than Frederick, but still worth it. White Post is another good spot, only there aren't as many houses for sale.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Job In Front Royal-Where to Live?

Thanks for all your response. Hopefully, we sell the house soon in TX so we can start looking around. The last time I was there, we just looked in Winchester and Stephens City. It's nice to know there are areas nearby, like i've said I need a good public school for my middle age child and somewhere where we don't have to drive 30 mins. to do grocery shopping. In TX, it takes me atleast 10 mins to go anywhere and in VA it seems like it takes atleast 30 mins to go anywhere, and that's normal. Guess I have to get used to that. I probably won't be working for a year just to acclimate myself and get settled in but I will soon work or I will go crazy at home! I am working for the State of TX taking unemployment claims,,,any jobs there that is 9-5pm,less commute time and w/decent pay? Thanks again. This forum is great.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:24 AM

What do you consider decent pay? I'm sure you can find a job locally, but the pay won't be that great. Depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I think the best way to get to know an area before you move to it, is to start reading the local papers on-line and maybe subscribe to one. Also go to the websites for Clarke, Frederick and Warren County and you can get a lot of information on tax rates and the parks and rec and government.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixau27 View Post
My husband will be relocating to Front Royal for a job and we're waiting (and hoping) for our house to sell. We have a middle school age child and we're wondering where is the best place to live. We're considering Stephens City, Centex Homes, less than $230K. We would rather not renovate since we don't have time nor extra money so we're considering buying a new house(hopefully we don't have to fix anything). We heard that the schools in Front Royal are not good so we crossed that out as well. Any other areas? There's also a lot of houses for sale so I'll probably be looking at those as well. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome potential neighbor..... We're currently building in Wakeland....

There were two robberies I guess a couple of months ago. Could have happened anywhere in the area (it isn't like this is something that is occurring a few times a month or something). There are 4 huge subdivisions in the area (Musket Ridge, Wakeland, Canter Estates, Mosby Station).... Stuff happens.... We currently are renting in a subdivision nearby and love the area and it's convenience to pretty-much everything the region has to offer.

Believe me my wife and I have shopped this area until it couldn't be shopped anymore and the main problem is simply that on pre-owned homes sellers have YET to face the reality of the market so you can buy a new home of your own design for the same price, or cheaper than a previously owned home...... Choice ended up being pretty simple to us.....

That said, our other potential location was Strasburg. There was a newer subdivision called Oxbow Estates there that had REALLY nice townhomes for under $200K and even had a couple of short-sale Mcmansions for $269K that STILL haven't sold.....

Lake Holiday is a bit of a hike to Front Royal. We looked there, it's beautiful but HOA fees and other things are a bit cryptic and scared us off....

Linden??? Well we looked long and hard at High Knob, Shenandoah Farms/Shores, Apple Mountain, etc.... In the end for approximately the price we're paying for our new house we'd get a pretty old house in okay shape up a mountain.... If you don't have 4-wheel drive (or at least a good front-wheel drive) it isn't even worth considering. Those roads ice over up there are you're home-bound for a few days... We still considered it because well, it's kind of a pretty and romantic ideal to live on a mountain side, but in the end practicality won out.....

Also if you want something in your $230K range FORGET Clarke County.... There is very little that a respectable family would want to purchase in Clarke County that is available for that price.

FYI Warren County schools aren't as bad as they are made out to be, BUT it seems the school that really gets the most complaints IS the Middle School, so yeah, be a bit wary I suppose...

Let me know any other questions you have. We did almost a year's worth of looking in the area before making our choice and settled on where you appear to have tentatively chosen. Good luck!!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Job in Front Royal-Where to Live?

Rhett Butler, thanks for responding. I am looking at Wakeland Mews and Wakeland Manor as well. How long will it take for them to finish the house? In TX, it took them less than 6 mos. Where are you now in the construction phase, if you don't mind me asking? No problems so far? I would probably end up renting as well, do you know of any duplex or houses for rent w/short term lease? I've also seen some foreclosures for that subdivision as well on the military.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia