Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Rajani, I'm sorry you've faced some xenophobia and hostility by a few in this thread. I'm a Caucasian (white non-Hispanic) male, but one of the things I treasured most about my brief tenure living in Northern Virginia was the opportunities I had to learn about and interact with those who were from different cultures than what I experienced in my upbringing in rural Pennsylvania.

I can confirm that the areas you're looking into are great places to raise a family. It's difficult to drill down by U.S. census tract to examine what sub-section of "Asian" happens to be "Indian-American" or "Indian", but I know there are at least enough native Indians residing in Ashburn, Sterling, Herndon, and Reston to be visible.

There are some specialty Asian grocers in the area (as noted), and I'll second JFromReston's recommendation for the Sterling Wegman's as a great place to shop. I personally liked the Wegman's in Leesburg better, as I found it to be bigger, cleaner, and friendlier, but it wasn't really THAT much better than the Sterling one to warrant the extra drive for me when I lived in Reston.

I left the area in 2010 because I foresaw no way to ever feel like I could get ahead financially as someone who earned a relatively low salary in the area relative to the very high cost-of-living. If I was making twice the salary, though, I would have stayed, because the benefits of living in Northern Virginia outweigh the negatives as long as you have $$$. If you're part of the lower-middle-class and/or working poor, then I can't imagine too many worse areas in this country to live within than Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 PM

35 posts, read 70,792 times
As an Asian immigrant myself who has lived in NOVA for the past 10 years, I still have moments of homesickness. It is a very tough transition to make when you move across the globe. From the foods you eat, the sights, the lingo and the people and neighbors around - all that takes time to get used to. For starters, I think Rajani is not aware of how politically correct everyone is especially in this area so he was basically expressing himself outright without considering a simple comment would evoke an intense response. I understand Rajani. He wanted to be surrounded by comforts of home to make the transition a little less challenging. He wanted to TRANSIT and take time to get used to everyone and everything but yet not completely go "cold turkey". Having your comrades in the area is an important transition step. Many times I myself wished I could communicate with a fellowman from my country - just to rehash what was and recall the good old memories of the past and what we both understood. Fellowship is a life saver for anyone who just moved 10,000 miles across the globe!

On another note, I do see Eagle4Life's point. Unfortunate there are loads of examples of immigrants who will never assimilate nor want to learn to speak English and frankly that's not a good thing.

Rajani, Ashburn is a wonderful place to establish roots. Very family-friendly area with good schools and fellow indians to socialize with. There's also a great international supermarket that's not too far away Lotte Plaza - wonderful fresh produce and comforts of home which I'm pretty sure you'll love!! WELCOME AGAIN TO AMERICA!

LOTTE PLAZA ASHBURN
43930 Farmwell Hunt Plaza
Ashburn, VA 20147

PS: There's another LARGER Lotte Plaza International Market down in Chantilly (13955 Metrotech Dr.
Chantilly, VA 20151) This branch has lots more variety of everything so if you can't find it in the Ashburn store, try the one in Chantilly.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:57 AM

526 posts, read 900,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinaisland View Post
As an Asian immigrant myself who has lived in NOVA for the past 10 years, I still have moments of homesickness. It is a very tough transition to make when you move across the globe. From the foods you eat, the sights, the lingo and the people and neighbors around - all that takes time to get used to. For starters, I think Rajani is not aware of how politically correct everyone is especially in this area so he was basically expressing himself outright without considering a simple comment would evoke an intense response. I understand Rajani. He wanted to be surrounded by comforts of home to make the transition a little less challenging. He wanted to TRANSIT and take time to get used to everyone and everything but yet not completely go "cold turkey". Having your comrades in the area is an important transition step. Many times I myself wished I could communicate with a fellowman from my country - just to rehash what was and recall the good old memories of the past and what we both understood. Fellowship is a life saver for anyone who just moved 10,000 miles across the globe!

On another note, I do see Eagle4Life's point. Unfortunate there are loads of examples of immigrants who will never assimilate nor want to learn to speak English and frankly that's not a good thing.

Rajani, Ashburn is a wonderful place to establish roots. Very family-friendly area with good schools and fellow indians to socialize with. There's also a great international supermarket that's not too far away Lotte Plaza - wonderful fresh produce and comforts of home which I'm pretty sure you'll love!! WELCOME AGAIN TO AMERICA!

LOTTE PLAZA ASHBURN
43930 Farmwell Hunt Plaza
Ashburn, VA 20147

PS: There's another LARGER Lotte Plaza International Market down in Chantilly (13955 Metrotech Dr.
Chantilly, VA 20151) This branch has lots more variety of everything so if you can't find it in the Ashburn store, try the one in Chantilly.
Thanks for taking the time to post this. So often immigrants are told they need to become Americans and stop clinging to their old cultures but your post does a great job of explaining how it feels to come to a strange place and learn to fit in.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:59 PM

35 posts, read 70,792 times
Vectorhead, frankly with so much political divide on immigration issues in this country right now, I don't blame some for having somewhat resentment against immigrants. Tensions are just too high now but there's always 2 sides to a story. I'm just speaking from experience and hope sharing my experience can help those who have never traveled this road to understand an immigrant's perspective. Those who have never experienced what it is like to move to a foreign country will never understand how hard it is to leave everything you've ever known - family,friends, job and stability and venture out into the unknown. The last thing anyone in THAT situation needs is judgement. This world has enough sadness so a little kindness such as a simple WELCOME will go a long way in encouraging everyone to get along and assimilate

Old 09-26-2016, 03:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4Life View Post
If you wanted to be around Indians then you should have stayed in India. You are in America now. Get used to being around Americans.

First time I've seen this but I have to wonder how the mods allow this clown to stay with comments like this. Come on mods. I've seen you remove posts for less than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia