Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 PM

294 posts, read 374,494 times

Advertisements

Are there any streets or neighborhoods of McLean worth driving down to see some of these big mansions (when the weather is nice)? Or are they all tucked away in gated communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,337,518 times
If you head west on Georgetown Pike from the beltway you'll see some impressive houses. At some point you leave McLean and enter Great Falls.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM

9,908 posts, read 14,289,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Are there any streets or neighborhoods of McLean worth driving down to see some of these big mansions (when the weather is nice)? Or are they all tucked away in gated communities?
Old Chain Bridge Road, which connects Dolley Madison (123) with Georgetown Pike (193) Is a great street to drive down to see massive mansions.

Also, now that there are no leaves on the trees, driving down Clara Barton Parkway (in MD) will give you awesome views of the incredible mansions of McLean's "Gold Coast".

Old 03-05-2015, 01:23 PM

540 posts, read 795,950 times
OP - this thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent, but what you are hearing is that $850k will get you a house pretty much anywhere. The question is how important is a big newish house vs an older refinished house. And how important is being close-in vs further out in the suburbs. In reality, you are going to find good schools anywhere where $850k is a normal price point.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,369,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Mc Lean, VA Luxury Homes For Sale - 292 Homes | Zillow

Here are the ones being sold, maybe you can even go in them if you want. Just go on georgetown pike and also go to Great Falls which is near McLean. Have fun!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,143,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Old Chain Bridge Road, which connects Dolley Madison (123) with Georgetown Pike (193) Is a great street to drive down to see massive mansions.

Also, now that there are no leaves on the trees, driving down Clara Barton Parkway (in MD) will give you awesome views of the incredible mansions of McLean's "Gold Coast".
Chain Bridge Road is to McLean as Peachtree is to Atlanta - everywhere and potentially confusing.

I believe you are probably referring to the stretch of Chain Bridge Road where Hickory Hill (where Bobby and Ethel Kennedy once lived) is located. It's actually not a direct turn off Dolley Madison/123 (which, you guessed it, is called Chain Bridge Road in other parts of Arlington and Fairfax Counties). Heading west on 123 from the GW Parkway, you make a right on Waverly, and then a sharp right on Chain Bridge. There are a few blocks of big houses, including Hickory Hill, and then you hit Georgetown Pike.

The only street in McLean that's actually called Old Chain Bridge Road is a commercial stretch of non-descript office buildings. North of 123, it becomes Churchill Road, which is residential and pleasant, but not mansion territory. There is at least one neighborhood off Churchill with some older homes in the OP's price range, although I'd be looking elsewhere in her circumstances.

Last edited by JD984; 03-05-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 PM

795 posts, read 1,022,356 times
Oh, so all of the sudden some homes in McLean are in the OP price range. I see. Must be Hocus Pocus.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Oh, so all of the sudden some homes in McLean are in the OP price range. I see. Must be Hocus Pocus.
I don't think anyone in this thread said that the homes in McLean weren't in the OP's price range. I'm pretty sure people are saying is that you won't get much bang for your buck......

Oh goodness.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:46 PM

795 posts, read 1,022,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread said that the homes in McLean weren't in the OP's price range. I'm pretty sure people are saying is that you won't get much bang for your buck......

Oh goodness.
Do you have some personal vendetta with me? You follow me around all forums jabbing.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Do you have some personal vendetta with me? You follow me around all forums jabbing.
I didn't say anything rude to just now did I? You were just absolutely wrong so I corrected you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia