Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,753 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a position in Warrenton, VA. This would require relocating our family from Utah. This will be a huge move for us so before we accept I am trying to get an accurate idea of what cost of living is like in that area. We are well aware of that fact that housing is much more expensive there than what we are used to. We have two children, 6 and 3; I am a full-time student and will not be working. The salary he's being offered is 65k, that provides a pretty decent living around here but is that anywhere near a liveable wage for that area? What are the best family friendly areas with good schools around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,325,556 times
In warrenton? Not nearly as bad as when people come to Northern Virginia and look at housing in Fairfax or Arlington. Warrenton is the outside limits of what most would say is Northern Virginia so the housing costs are actually pretty reasonable. I'd be surprised if you found sticker shock coming here. 65k should be fine out that way. I would say look at that region of Route 29 in Warrenton or further down towards Culpeper and you should get a lot of band for the buck.

No idea on schools though.

A couple examples from lower cost to higher cost on what to expect

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13...12239705_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/71...12218915_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14...58485519_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/80...12237498_zpid/

Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,271,813 times
I did a quick search for rentals in Warrenton using $1400 as a max. Not much out there and nothing in Culpeper. Compared to the areas North of Warrenton, this area and further south is very rural. Warrenton has a charming town which is rare for this area since much of Northern Virginia is suburban sprawl. I would take a look at some generic real estate sites and get a feel for what housing goes for. Greatschools is a website a lot of people use to get a feel for size, demographics, etc for schools.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM

89 posts, read 143,861 times
Warrenton is not Washington, but I guess you could find some pretty expensive horse farms out there.

But you could find some pretty affordable housing, too.

If your husband is excited about the opportunity (which is the best reason to accept it), I wouldn't let the economics stop you. You can make it work.

Warrenton schools are run by Fauquier County. They're quite good.

FCPS - FCPS Home

Old 09-09-2014, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,359 times
I lived in Warrenton for a few years and I have a rental house in Warrenton which rents out at $2K (4BR/2BA, two car garage). Warrenton is cheaper than the closer in suburbs, but many of the people who live there work in Dulles Corridor and some even commute into DC and the prices are lower, but much higher than Utah and doing this on a 65K salary will be difficult.

I think you will be better off trying to stay in the Fauquier HS pyramid and the better elementary and middle schools will be to the north of Warrenton which is also the more expensive area of the county.

There are more affordable options to the south and west of Warrenton like Bealeton, Culpeper and Rixeyville, but the schools are not as good.

The rental market is tight, inventory is always low, and rentals do not stay on the market for very long.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM

274 posts, read 706,451 times
We had moved from SLC to Columbus, OH and we felt that everything was more expensive in OH than in UT, then again moved from Columbus, OH to Vienna and said the same thing, everything here is more expensive than in OH. The same $$ is worth a lot less here than in those areas with the low COL, so the value of $65k will feel different once you come here. In my case, my current salary is just a little higher than my previous salary in those places, so we feel financially more pinched, but beyond $$ we feel much happier here overall, so no regret.

I don't know where in Utah you are moving from, and also don't know much about Warrenton, so please take my word with a grain of salt!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 AM

142 posts, read 273,473 times
We lived out west for 13 yrs in Utah, Montana, California, and Colorado. We now live about 15 minutes from Warrenton.

$65K isn't going to go very far out here. You can buy up to about $275,000, which there isn't very much out here at that price. Renting will probably put you in an apartment complex.

Schools in Warrenton are good. Look in the Kettle Run High School area.

Unless you're from the east coast, you need to consider the quality of life outside of salary before you relocate. There are no wide open spaces and immense areas of open land. Everything is owned or regulated by the state. If you're into the outdoors, you'll be severely disappointed compared to the West.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM

367 posts, read 885,952 times
I think you guys would do great on that income living in stephens city or front royal

Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,753 times
Thanks the input everyone! I should have mentioned that we are currently living on about 38k. It seems like we should at least be able to maintain our standard of living on the 65k salary there. The schools there also appear to be much better than the area we are in now. Unfortunately we will not get a chance to make a trip out there before my husband needs to start work. We have been looking for homes/rentals on-line. Besides Warrenton, we've been looking in the Front Royal, Marshall, Bealton, and Culpepper areas. Are these good safe areas? Family friendly?

Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,274,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazabba82 View Post
Thanks the input everyone! I should have mentioned that we are currently living on about 38k. It seems like we should at least be able to maintain our standard of living on the 65k salary there. The schools there also appear to be much better than the area we are in now. Unfortunately we will not get a chance to make a trip out there before my husband needs to start work. We have been looking for homes/rentals on-line. Besides Warrenton, we've been looking in the Front Royal, Marshall, Bealton, and Culpepper areas. Are these good safe areas? Family friendly?
None of these areas are what anyone would consider unsafe at all. My job is moving out to Front Royal in Nov. and this is an older and somewhat ugly town that needs updating but it's in a beautiful mountain setting. Marshall has very little to it but that's what many people like. Same with Bealeton. Culpeper is pretty far out there but a fairly easy drive to Warrenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia