Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times

Advertisements

October 17th is the date mentioned in the article. It seemed like they did absolutely nothing all winter and now they're working at a break-neck speed. Every day I drive, it seems progress has been made which is very exciting after all the delays. I'm sure they will want to have this completed before the holidays.

I'm really excited for &Pizza as its an awesome place. Not as thrilled about the burger place. I can think of like 10 different gourmet burger places in Nova off the top of my head. I wish they didn't sign the Yardhouse either. The area doesn't have a shortage of bars with crappy overpriced food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Actually there aren't that many bars in the area that I can think of. I'm not familiar with Yard House but it might be nice to have more of a night life in Springfield - catch a movie then dinner/drinks. The &Pizza place looks good, too.

It'll be nice to have that mall up and running again. We'll definitely be checking it out.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Unless something has changed and it has not been made public, I'm pretty sure that a movie theatre is still planned as well.
I read that Regal Cinemas took the Springfield Town Center lease, which is interesting considering that they also operate the theaters in Kingstowne, which is less than 3 miles away.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhoffmann View Post
I read that Regal Cinemas took the Springfield Town Center lease, which is interesting considering that they also operate the theaters in Kingstowne, which is less than 3 miles away.
Looks like you're right. Here is an article from January detailing some other tenants and making the same observation as you about the proximity to the Kingstowne theaters.

LA Fitness, Regal Cinemas, Yard House among latest Springfield Town Center additions - Washington Business Journal

Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I'm glad to hear that Maggiano's will be there. Love that place.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM

I was stopping by Total Wine in Springfield today and saw in the same shopping center a presale office for La Fitness. I used to belong to LA Fitness in California and I really enjoyed their gyms so I decided to stop in. They are definitely planning on what sounds like a pretty nice gym. Convinced me and my wife to sign up. The associate thought the gym would be open by September, although said it could be delayed until October on account of the remainder of the construction at the mall. Of course, I'm sure it's the sales associate's job to make things sound like the opening will go smoothly and as planned so I won't be surprised if it takes longer than that. At any rate, I'm excited for the opening of the LA Fitness their as well as the other nearby one in the new Wegmans shopping center (according to the sales associate, sometime in 2015). Gyms are also something I have personally found lacking in the Springfield area since I moved here.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
First look at new Springfield Town Center - WTOP.com

What happened to it being an outdoor mall?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
First look at new Springfield Town Center - WTOP.com

What happened to it being an outdoor mall?
I think that plan changed a long time ago. Or, maybe a lot of people just assumed because the name was being changed to a "Town Center" of some sort that it would be partly an outdoor mall and that never really was part of the plan. I think there are still longer term plans for office and residential development around the new town center, but who knows when or if that will materialize.

Personally, I don't really like outdoor malls in this part of the world. Most of the year it's either too hot or too cold for it to really be what I would call nice and comfortable outside. If I'm shopping or enjoying a meal, I just assume be inside a temperature controlled building.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
I'm really not excited about this development at all. We'll see how it turns out, but right now it looks to me like...well...Springfield Mall. I haven't seen anything in the lists of tenants that stands out to me either.

Suiite Blanco, based in Spain, sells women's casual fashion. Another new retailer is Topshop, a women's clothier based in Great Britain that is opening the first of its stores in the Washington area.
Other stores at the 1.3 million-square-foot shopping center include Nordstrom Rack, Dick's Sporting Goods, Michael Kors, J. Crew and Victoria's Secret.
The 12-screen Regal Cinema features powered reclining seats and a cocktail lounge.

I'm pretty much one who can get what I need at Kohl's. Power seats won't entice me to the theater.

Edit: It will be nice to have the Dick's Sporting Goods closer. I wonder how long Modell's will stay open.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'm really not excited about this development at all. We'll see how it turns out, but right now it looks to me like...well...Springfield Mall. I haven't seen anything in the lists of tenants that stands out to me either.
I concur and this could be an absolute failure of a project (from an ROI perspective) or mediocre success at best. It really doesn't look like they are doing much with this project to stand out from the crowd. With Tysons, Potomac Mills, Old Town Alexandria and National Harbor all around, I don't see how this project really can succeed at drawing much traffic there. They needed to go big and all they really did was re-hab the old mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia