Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM

147 posts, read 255,322 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have just found out that I suffer from Spondylolithesis. I know that is a mouthful but it is a fancy way to say that one of my lower vertabrae has slipped forward some. I have no back pain but the slippage has started to cause some nerve irritation in my right front shin.
I go in to see the Ortho guy this Wednesday - March 26th - to find out what needs to be done.
I have been reading up on this condition and it seems that surgery is the last thing they try if the patient is not in great discomfort or the slippage is withing tolerance. I have no trauma which I know caused this and the literature states that this could have happened a decade or more ago.
I am mid to late 40s althletic - but slightly overweight.
The thing is I can run and play tennis without incident but standing and walking cause discomfort.
I expect - assuming I don't need surgery - that he is going to write a script for physical therapy.
I am hoping that he has a good spine PT on call, but a previous incident with a surgeon's "house therapist" was very disappointing in the past when I had issues with tendonitis in my knee.
Does anyone know/ have used a good + experienced spine physical therapist in the Vienna (work), Reston/Herndon, Fairfax area?
I was a level 4 tennis player and sometimes runner but this condition has me not being able to play or run for fear of doing some damage.
I am very worried that even if I don't have surgery they will tell me that I can no longer play which would be a bitter pill to swallow.
I am not sure how much core working with PT will help but I am worried (losing sleep) and will be willing to do other things to help out (crash diet etc ) whatever it takes to get back to playing tennis.
If you can could you please list the therapist's actual name and the facility?
I have been in places that promise someone good and then you find out that they are kind of "in the room" during your PT and not exclusive for at least part of the hour.
I am very motivated to avoid surgery and get back on track but I need to know that the person I work with knows what they are talking about as I tend to go all in when it comes to taking medical advice.
Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia