Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:02 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,337,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Willowsford voted down the elementary school so I believe the school board is still looking for an alternative. That being said, that neighborhood is most likely facing several years of rezoning (the entire area down there is being moved around). The school in the neighborhood would have secured them some stability.
Yes, the school board withdrew their purchase offer to avoid a lawsuit from homeowners in The Grant. The last I heard from our school board rep, they didn't have an alternative yet for ES-31 but they really wanted to have something locked in before the boundary process for Madison's Trust ES starts this September. (Madison's Trust, formerly known as ES-27, opens in Fall 2016.) They don't want to move kids twice but it may be inevitable without a plan for ES-31 (scheduled to open in Fall 2018). What they really need is a parcel to magically open up somewhere between Brambleton and the Greenway, because Moorefield Station ES and Rosa Lee Carter ES are also both overcrowded (though not as overcrowded as Creighton's Corner ES, where Willowsford north of Route 50 is zoned, and Legacy ES).

One note: since my earlier post in this thread from February 2014, the Brambleton rezoning was approved, so now the sites for MS-9 (name still TBD after the John Ryan/Mathias Giordano naming fiasco) and HS-11 are locked in and kids in the Grant and Grange villages of Willowsford will almost certainly end up at those schools once they are open (MS-9 opens in Fall 2017; HS-11 opens in Fall 2020). On this map, the leftmost number 10 is MS-9/HS-11; the rightmost number 10 is Madison's Trust ES. The entrance to The Grant is on the west side of Evergreen Mills Rd. north of Hanson Park; the entrance to The Grange is on the west side of Evergreen Mills Rd. south of Hanson Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:04 PM

31 posts, read 79,870 times
We decided to go private, at least for kindergarten, and just go year to year from then. We'll see how it goes.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:25 PM

274 posts, read 351,326 times
Oh man that stinks. I haven't been out to the community since February and the sales office was talking about the school at that point. Hopefully they get things figured out soon. I live out in PWC and we are going through the same rezoning and new school openings right now as well.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 PM

I'm curious about the new high school- it will include Willowsford and what other communities? We are considering the Aldie side of Willowsford too and that would be John Champe High School. Just wondering how these two might compare in terms of size, diversity, etc...

Old 07-27-2015, 05:42 PM

9,786 posts, read 15,893,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Yes, the school board withdrew their purchase offer to avoid a lawsuit from homeowners in The Grant. The last I heard from our school board rep, they didn't have an alternative yet for ES-31 but they really wanted to have something locked in before the boundary process for Madison's Trust ES starts this September. (Madison's Trust, formerly known as ES-27, opens in Fall 2016.) They don't want to move kids twice but it may be inevitable without a plan for ES-31 (scheduled to open in Fall 2018). What they really need is a parcel to magically open up somewhere between Brambleton and the Greenway, because Moorefield Station ES and Rosa Lee Carter ES are also both overcrowded (though not as overcrowded as Creighton's Corner ES, where Willowsford north of Route 50 is zoned, and Legacy ES).

One note: since my earlier post in this thread from February 2014, the Brambleton rezoning was approved, so now the sites for MS-9 (name still TBD after the John Ryan/Mathias Giordano naming fiasco) and HS-11 are locked in and kids in the Grant and Grange villages of Willowsford will almost certainly end up at those schools once they are open (MS-9 opens in Fall 2017; HS-11 opens in Fall 2020). On this map, the leftmost number 10 is MS-9/HS-11; the rightmost number 10 is Madison's Trust ES. The entrance to The Grant is on the west side of Evergreen Mills Rd. north of Hanson Park; the entrance to The Grange is on the west side of Evergreen Mills Rd. south of Hanson Park.
Madison's Trust sounds like a bank - not an elementary school.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,337,079 times
Willowsford is very nice. I went to a KHov event last fall in the Ashburn section. A buddy of mine just bought in the Aldie section and works in Vienna and says commute isn't bad(45 min), which surprises me but it seems to work for him. I would expect it to take longer during rush hour with how jammed every road off the tollroad is. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,337,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btingle76 View Post
I'm curious about the new high school- it will include Willowsford and what other communities? We are considering the Aldie side of Willowsford too and that would be John Champe High School. Just wondering how these two might compare in terms of size, diversity, etc...
Probably, although it is WAY too early to say. HS-11's boundaries will likely include some students who currently attend Rock Ridge (and maybe some from Briar Woods). Sizewise, they will all end up near or over capacity. If you want to compare the schools as they were 2014-2015:

Rock Ridge: (823 students total - new school, so no senior class in 2014-2015)
38% white, 33% Asian, 14% black, 10% Hispanic, 5% multiple
5% English language learner
17% economically disadvantaged

John Champe: (1277 students total)
45% white, 29% Asian, 12% black, 9% Hispanic, 5% multiple
3% English language learner
10% economically disadvantaged

Remember, too, that HS-9 will open in Fall 2021 in Dulles South (exact site TBD). So depending on when you plan to move and the age of your children, you could end up there instead of Champe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Madison's Trust sounds like a bank - not an elementary school.
I'll let the school board's minutes tell the story:
Quote:
The committee voted to recommend that ES-27 be named Madison’s Trust. The name will commemorate Loudoun County’s place in the War of 1812 where it served as a temporary refuge for President Madison and important state papers. The president established temporary resident at Belmont and the important state papers (including the Constitution) were housed at the Rokeby estate (off of Gleedsville Rd.).

Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 PM

Where can I find all the new school info? Is there a website I can follow to stay current on all of the updates and announcements?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:50 PM

989 posts, read 2,868,640 times
You will make yourself crazy trying to figure out school zoning in Loudoun. It is very fluid, especially in the fast growing Dulles South area. Even the established, built out neighborhoods are not immune to frequent rezoning. There's a lot of push and pull... And sometimes the zoning decisions end up in court. There is no telling what the school board is going to do with individual neighborhoods until very close to when a new school opens.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:17 AM

Does anyone know if buffalo trail is overcrowded for kindergarten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia