Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would let people know. There was a sexual assault yesterday evening around 5 pm at the Annandale campus. I do not go to that one, but I get the alerts.

I know I go to few of the campuses and I am uneasy walking at night.

There are campus police who will walk you to your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,893 times
Sad to know. I hope the victim is OK and the perpetrator caught soon, if not already.

Been living in the area 5 yrs now but never had a need to go to any of the NOVA campuses?

Is it something in particular about the campuses, the students there, that makes you uneasy in the situation you described? Just curious

Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I have lived here a couple of years and this is my first semester. I go to a few different campuses and as a woman walking in the dark where anyone could be in between cars, yes, I am a bit uneasy about it.

It is not necessarily the students, but I am sure it could be. It is the time we live in. Crime is out there. People attack people, rape people, murder people, steal their cars. It is just an unfortunate fact.

That is what makes me uneasy about the situation I am in, especially since someone has now been assaulted just yesterday.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:03 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
My heart goes out to the victim and I too hope that the attacker is caught soon.

I took some classes at NOVA-Annandale over a three year period, often at night. I never felt unsafe, although I am a guy. The only incident I ever heard about was a student who threatened a professor via phone calls. That person was eventually arrested and, obviously, banned from the campus.

That campus is near the beginning of "outside-the-Beltway" Annandale and is very quiet and suburban. (Not that ITB Annandale is particularly unsafe, either, although mild street wisdom might be useful around the apartment complexes bordering Alexandria.) Of course, that doesn't account for the variety of students and general public coming from a wide swath of the region and whatever their daily intentions may be. I would say to stay vigilant, perhaps walk to one's car with a buddy or campus police as suggested, but I would not panic.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,635 times
That part of town has really deteriorated over the last 15 years or so

Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
The Wakefield Forest area near NOVA-Annandale outside the Beltway is just as nice as it was 15 years ago. Same for the nearby Camelot and Mantua areas. It's really some of the garden apartment complexes inside the Beltway off Route 236 that have gotten sketchy.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,557 times
Just to put it in perspective - according to campus police, it was about 5pm in a stairwell and was broken up almost immediately by some people who were nearby. The campus is actually located in a very nice part of Annandale - mostly residential and generally a desirable place to live with good schools and nice homes. And it was stopped quickly, so presumably not much of an attack - it could have happened anywhere. Odd though because it was not exactly an isolated location at that hour, although perhaps the most isolated one available at that time.

Unfortunately, college campuses are magnets for people with bad intentions, since there are so many young people, especially women.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM

254 posts, read 423,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Just to put it in perspective - according to campus police, it was about 5pm in a stairwell and was broken up almost immediately by some people who were nearby. The campus is actually located in a very nice part of Annandale - mostly residential and generally a desirable place to live with good schools and nice homes. And it was stopped quickly, so presumably not much of an attack - it could have happened anywhere. Odd though because it was not exactly an isolated location at that hour, although perhaps the most isolated one available at that time.

Unfortunately, college campuses are magnets for people with bad intentions, since there are so many young people, especially women.
I have a little more faith in humanity after all. The stories I hate the most are the ones where people just watched or walked away thinking 'it was normal'. We need a real Batman in this country!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Are you talking about a different campus?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,534 times
Yikes. I've taken a few classes there. Never really felt unsafe but this stuff can happen anywhere.

Was this a random attack or did the perp know the victim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia