Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:51 AM

25 posts, read 48,202 times

Advertisements

Several years ago my wife, who was insured by BCBS, had a burst appendix and obviously had to go to the nearest hospital ASAP. The bill was something like $8000, which BCBS refused to pay because the hospital & surgeon were not preferred providers. (In fact, the surgeon on duty at the hospital happened to work for Kaiser.) She ended up having to pay the bill out-of-pocket. She subsequently switched from BCBS to Kaiser and, for the reasons described by MsEvie64 above, has loved it ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM

148 posts, read 297,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rute boye View Post
Several years ago my wife, who was insured by BCBS, had a burst appendix and obviously had to go to the nearest hospital ASAP. The bill was something like $8000, which BCBS refused to pay because the hospital & surgeon were not preferred providers. (In fact, the surgeon on duty at the hospital happened to work for Kaiser.) She ended up having to pay the bill out-of-pocket. She subsequently switched from BCBS to Kaiser and, for the reasons described by MsEvie64 above, has loved it ever since.
That sounds like it would have to be under an HMO plan which the majority of BCBS plans are PPO, so that doesn't make any sense to me. Now, with Kaiser you would have had to have pre-approval. We never had to get pre-approval for hospital visits with BCBS and even now with UHC, but obviously, they do reimburse based on in network or outside of it. For emergency care, they typically reimburse all of it regardless. So, it sounds like there are some facts missing from this story.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,788,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
That sounds like it would have to be under an HMO plan which the majority of BCBS plans are PPO, so that doesn't make any sense to me. Now, with Kaiser you would have had to have pre-approval. We never had to get pre-approval for hospital visits with BCBS and even now with UHC, but obviously, they do reimburse based on in network or outside of it. For emergency care, they typically reimburse all of it regardless. So, it sounds like there are some facts missing from this story.
To me, it sounds like a BCBS plan where you only have in-network benefits. For example, if you are a federal employee, I believe there are two nation-wide BCBS PPO plans - one that pays both in-network and out-network benefits, and one that pays only in-network benefits. Of course, there is a pretty significant premium savings by going with the in-network only plan.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 PM

25 posts, read 48,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
To me, it sounds like a BCBS plan where you only have in-network benefits. For example, if you are a federal employee, I believe there are two nation-wide BCBS PPO plans - one that pays both in-network and out-network benefits, and one that pays only in-network benefits. Of course, there is a pretty significant premium savings by going with the in-network only plan.
Airjay describes the out-of-network appendectomy situation exactly. My wife's BCBS plan was one for federal retirees.

Several years prior to the appendictomy incident I was traveling and had to check into an out-of-network hospital far from home for an emergency and ended up staying several days in the hospital. Total bill was over $6,000. Kaiser required appropriate documentation, which I provided them, after which Kaiser paid the out-of-network hospital in full (except for a $20 co-pay on my part.)

Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

148 posts, read 297,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rute boye View Post
Airjay describes the out-of-network appendectomy situation exactly. My wife's BCBS plan was one for federal retirees.

Several years prior to the appendictomy incident I was traveling and had to check into an out-of-network hospital far from home for an emergency and ended up staying several days in the hospital. Total bill was over $6,000. Kaiser required appropriate documentation, which I provided them, after which Kaiser paid the out-of-network hospital in full (except for a $20 co-pay on my part.)
That makes sense then. I have heard that government plans have a lot more restrictions. It is good to clarify that, because it sounds like most of us who are or have been with BCBS have plans other than the government ones. I loved my PPO plan with them. But, to be honest, I have never had a PPO plan that didn't work out well.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,788,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
That makes sense then. I have heard that government plans have a lot more restrictions. It is good to clarify that, because it sounds like most of us who are or have been with BCBS have plans other than the government ones. I loved my PPO plan with them. But, to be honest, I have never had a PPO plan that didn't work out well.
Just to be clear, federal employees (and retirees, I believe) have a choice - they can pay higher premiums and have BCBS that provides benefits both in and out of the network or they can opt for lower premiums and have only BCBS with benefits inside the network. There are actually a lot of other health plans they can choose from as well including Kaiser, Consumer Directed Health Plans, High Deductible Health Plans, HMOs, and various others. Really, probably too many choices for the average employee, but I suppose I'd rather have too many choices than too few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia