Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,924 times

Advertisements

I looked on hotpads and saw some options below $1500 around the Vienna metro. Living in this area is not a bad commute to the Tysons's area since you can cut through neighborhoods, etc.

I saw one for $1350 on Kingsbridge. These are condos and I actually lived there many years ago. The apartments don't look like much on the outside since they were built in the 70's, but I never heard any of my neighbors and never saw one bug. 1br apts are spacious and I had a full size w/d in my unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 PM

294 posts, read 372,630 times
I decided to venture onto Craigslist. I may have found a condo at The Colonies to rent. Seems like a good deal. Less than either place at The Commons, but more amenities.

Any opinions on this spot? I am having some pictures/videos sent, but it looks like a winner based off of random online reviews.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 43,088 times
Colonies is extremely well maintained condos built around 1974. It is spread across 20 acres of land with beautiful landscaping. Most owners are older folks with only about 50-60% occupancy. You will not see a lot of movement in the buildings. People may say hi to you if you are within 5 feet of them, otherwise everyone minds their own business.

The buildings are very quiet and you wont hear your neighbors for the most part unless they have hardwood floors above you and they have kids that run around, or adults who like to walk around in heels.

There's almost unlimited parking. It is a gated community with fences that are lined with trees and plants. The security is very non-intrusive and lenient. They patrol the streets at night.

I highly recommend Colonies unless you are 20 something who likes to live around people his age.

I may know someone who will be renting a bedroom in a 2bd/2ba condo. Feel free to stay in touch if you are interested in shared housing.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 PM

318 posts, read 368,175 times
There are 1br units there for $1500-~$1600 and they have washer and dryer, utilities included, 2 metro bus stops to the west falls church metro, walkable to whole foods and shopping, very close to Tysons/McLean
2300 Pimmit Dr APT 202, Falls Church, VA 22043 - Zillow

Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Hey team, I was curious about the walkability of where I am. I recall another poster saying the metro stop will be at 123/Colshire Drive. So the far side of The Colonies from me, but still walkable.

Is it possible to walk from The Colonies to either Tysons Galleria or Tysons Corner Center? Or is it not very pedestrian friendly or possible and I should just drive? Or will there be a metro stop in one of the malls and I could ride the one stop over? The maps of the new metro stops I have seen are sort of confusing to me.

Also, typing this post led me to wonder something else. Is parking free at the lots near metro stops? Sorry if that is a dumb question from someone who lives in a small town currently.

Lastly, is there a good website that someone can recommend to check travel times and routes to get around using the buses/trains/etc....? I do have a car, but trying to figure out how to use public transportation most effectively for when I am not driving to and from work seems like a good goal!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 PM

406 posts, read 620,256 times
I can't answer the Tyson's questions but Metro - Home page has "trip planners" for Metro bus and rail

Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Awesome, thanks! I have bookmarked that.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Is it possible to walk from The Colonies to either Tysons Galleria or Tysons Corner Center? Or is it not very pedestrian friendly or possible and I should just drive? Or will there be a metro stop in one of the malls and I could ride the one stop over? The maps of the new metro stops I have seen are sort of confusing to me.
Personally, I'd just drive. 123 isn't very pedestrian friendly, and it would be expensive to take the Metro just one stop up and back. The "Mall" station seems to be situated directly between both malls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Is parking free at the lots near metro stops? Sorry if that is a dumb question from someone who lives in a small town currently.
Not a dumb question. Parking at Metro lots is usually not free. But it is important to note that none of the four Tysons Corner stations will have any parking.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,097,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not a dumb question. Parking at Metro lots is usually not free. But it is important to note that none of the four Tysons Corner stations will have any parking.
There will be some parking, at least on an interim basis at the Tysons/McLean station.

Speak Out: How High is Too High for Metro Parking? - Government - Tysons Corner, VA Patch

http://tysonscorner.patch.com/groups...on-parking-lot

But taking a bus might also be an option to consider since there is a line that goes right down Anderson Road to Tysons Corner.

http://www.wmata.com/pdfs/bus/Virginia_System_Map.pdf?

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/3t.pdf

Last edited by JD984; 09-05-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times
I believe parking is free at Metro Stations on the weekends. At least they used to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia