Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,825 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in DC and we're moving there from Los Angeles in less than a month. (A little crazy, I know.) We're a family with two young children looking for a great place to live within an hour commute of the Dupont Circle metro stop. (Willing to drive to metro station.) We want to rent for a year with a $2,100- $2,500 budget and hopefully buy a house in the $500,000 range in the same school district within a year or two. The trick-- we need to find the place next week. We love Leesburg, but it's just too far out. Any ideas for family friendly neighborhood within reasonable distance to schools, hospital, and stores? Would Falls Church fit the bill? We're also considering Burke (may be too remote), Springfield (we've heard some parts are "sketchy", but don't know which parts they are), Arlington or Vienna (too expensive to buy?). Any suggestions would be most welcome, including ideas for getting a feel for neighborhoods from 3,000 miles away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 PM

244 posts, read 566,272 times
$500k homes are going to be small & old, or pretty far out. Even newer larger town homes that are closer in will be higher than $500k. I recommend that you rent somewhere close for now, but don't try to nail down where you'll buy until you've had a year to get a feel for the area. Vienna is a good choice given its relative close proximity to two existing metro stations. It also has a good neighborhood feel, and you can probably find a decent sized home to rent for $2500 a month.

After a year in the area, you should have a pretty good idea of where you want to live.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,825 times
NovaOne- Thanks for the feedback. I grew up in Virginia, but haven't lived there in twenty years so I know the neighborhoods are radically different from the way I remember them. I liked Vienna way back when, but you never know how things will change.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM

85 posts, read 160,990 times
We recently moved back from SC and chose Woodbridge (Lake Ridge) for the shorter commute to Arlington for my husband (and for me eventually!). We love it here! We're in Westridge, and the neighborhood is beautiful, the pool is great, my kids love all of the nature at the lake, and Lake Ridge Park is right around the corner. All shopping is down the street about ten minutes (including Wegman's!), and the schools are excellent here. We also wanted to live in the same school district for when we buy so we don't have to change the kids' school, so I understand that concern. I'm not sure what your husband's work schedule is, but my husband works irregular hours and it takes him 20-30 minutes to get to work in downtown Arlington. There are also commuter options here for the 9-5ers. We are renting a townhouse for around $1800, but there are SFHs around here in your price range to rent. You will definitely get more bang for your buck a bit further out from Springfield and other closer points. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,519,449 times
If the job is in DC, then you should also consider Maryland.

In VA, you can get a decent enough 60s/70s rambler/split-foyer for under $500 in Fairfax City ... I'd look in and around Rockville in Maryland, though.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM

85 posts, read 160,990 times
I forgot to mention: my kids will walk to school, which is two TH rows away, and we got into our rental fairly quickly (with a lot of paperwork!). If you go through a property management company to rent, it takes 2-5 days to get approval on an application, and there's no guarantee you'll be chosen. If you rent privately through Craigslist or militarybyowner.com, you'll have a faster turnaround (and cheaper prices!).

Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM

540 posts, read 791,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If the job is in DC, then you should also consider Maryland.

In VA, you can get a decent enough 60s/70s rambler/split-foyer for under $500 in Fairfax City ... I'd look in and around Rockville in Maryland, though.
With the job location on the Red line, MD does make more sense unless there are external reasons for wanting to be in VA. Dupont to Vienna is 40 min on Metro on a good day.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,899,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoDCtransplants View Post
My husband has accepted a job in DC and we're moving there from Los Angeles in less than a month. (A little crazy, I know.) We're a family with two young children looking for a great place to live within an hour commute of the Dupont Circle metro stop. (Willing to drive to metro station.) We want to rent for a year with a $2,100- $2,500 budget and hopefully buy a house in the $500,000 range in the same school district within a year or two........
I am from San Diego.
You should read this thread as it is quite recent.
Good Luck, you will probably need to adjust your rent or your travel time

[URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/1857917-moving-southern-california-virginia.html"]https://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/1857917-moving-southern-california-virginia.html[/URL]

Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM

518 posts, read 1,451,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
With the job location on the Red line, MD does make more sense unless there are external reasons for wanting to be in VA. Dupont to Vienna is 40 min on Metro on a good day.
Depending on where the job is in Dupont, the walk from the Orange Line stations, Farragut West or Foggy Bottom could be around 5 minutes. There may be no need to transfer to the red line.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,658 times
I know you mentioned Leesburg is too far but I would suggest taking a look at Lovettsville, VA or Brunswick, MD. Both locations are within minutes to the Marc train which will take your hubby to DC (savings on gas!) We have 4 young children (two in elem. school and two toddlers) and we have scoured Loudoun Co and Fairfax Co for a home in our $500k budget for the past year (my hubby works in Falls Church). This budget won't buy much house in the Nova area but we found a great neighborhood in Lovettsville with new homes priced under $440 and in Brunswick they are even cheaper with great schools. You'll find that a lot of people have a commute of 45 min - over 1 hour when travelling to work in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia