Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 30,984 times

Advertisements

Here goes...

My husbands works at Ft Belvoir, we currently live in Woodbridge. We would like to move this year and our oldest will be entering into high school in 2014 and we would like to stay in PWC. We know that PWC offers programs/school of choice options, but would like to be close to what school she would be going to. Our younger ones have 2 more years of elementary, so elementary and middle schools would be important too. Loudoun County has been a thought too.

With that in mind, we also want:
A home that is newer, no older than 10-15 years. Price $550,000/$575,000
HOA, community with pools/tennis/clubhouse
Family oriented neighborhood
Close shopping options
No more than a 45 minute commute from Belvoir, without traffic, we know that we'll have to add sometime for traffic

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,740 times
Hope Hill Crossing fits almost everything you listed (still building the neighborhood, pool etc hasn't been completed), but the school that services that community has a score of 6 from Greatschools (take that however you want)

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 26,290 times
It does, but it's all new construction. This can take some time, and I don't know how much time you have. There are some great areas near Nokesville and Gainesville (7,8,and 9 ratings) and some great communities that are already built. It is right on the edge, and outside of the area you were looking (50 minute to an hour non-traffic drive), but great for the price-range. I have a bunch of clients looking around there that are in similar situations as you. There are some great communities down in Woodbridge as well, but some of the schools can be ranked lower.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensfam View Post
Here goes...

My husbands works at Ft Belvoir, we currently live in Woodbridge. We would like to move this year and our oldest will be entering into high school in 2014 and we would like to stay in PWC. We know that PWC offers programs/school of choice options, but would like to be close to what school she would be going to. Our younger ones have 2 more years of elementary, so elementary and middle schools would be important too. Loudoun County has been a thought too.

With that in mind, we also want:
A home that is newer, no older than 10-15 years. Price $550,000/$575,000
HOA, community with pools/tennis/clubhouse
Family oriented neighborhood
Close shopping options
No more than a 45 minute commute from Belvoir, without traffic, we know that we'll have to add sometime for traffic

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
I live in Lake Ridge and work in Belvoir myself. In order to keep your commute down, you are likely not going to be look for anything west of Hoadly Road or else you are risking a longer commute. With that said, the best school districts you would have available to you are Forest Park, Hylton, Osbourn Park and Woodbridge. Out of all of them, Osbourn Park generally ranks the highest.

I can't say with certain where their boundaries are but use this: Prince William County Public Schools, Northern Virginia
to help you find out what school district an address falls in.

Also keep in mind that they are in the process of building a brand new high school at the intersection of Hoadly and 234 so that may impact your kids as well, depending on where you move.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM

13 posts, read 30,984 times
Hope Hill Crossing has many builders...any insight on the better of them?

Also, what about the Haymarket area?? What neighborhoods?? Too far of a commute??

Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensfam View Post
Hope Hill Crossing has many builders...any insight on the better of them?

Also, what about the Haymarket area?? What neighborhoods?? Too far of a commute??
This alone should be a major factor

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,290 times
Loudoun County to Ft. Belvoir would likely be a commuting nightmare. If I were you, I would stick to focusing mostly in Woodbridge if you don't want to cross into Fairfax County (Lorton, Springfield, Burke, etc.).

Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times
Lake Ridge is cool.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM

15 posts, read 26,290 times
I also agree that loudoun would be too far. If you are willing to go from loudoun to ft. belvoir, then your commuting area is massive!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
I agree.

I spent one week commuting from Woodbridge, VA to Landsdowne for some training. I lost a little bit of my soul that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia