Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM

24 posts, read 37,595 times

Advertisements

My research is paying off, but is is also adding more to think about. We have been suggested to search in PWC as well. So what can you tell me on any of the above places and why it would be a could choice for us?
I have plenty of research on Loudon County, just beginning on PWC. Know all the schools, minus a few are good in LC. Besides great schools.org, what can you tell me about the high schools in PWC?

We are considering PWC areas because we were told less congested and more house for dollar. We are in our mid 40s and have 2 kids entering 8th and 9th grade, one entering college. We would like a 3+ bedroom and 2,000sqft within $400k. Husband will work in Reston, so commute is important but a 40 minute commute he doesn't mind. We have 5 years left with kids in school, so schools are important but we must also think in 5 years the kid factor won't matter and we will want to be happy where we are living.

So please give me reasons to or reasons not to choose the above areas. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,331,422 times
You could live out in Warrenton and have more land with 400k

Old 04-13-2013, 06:23 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrodz View Post
Husband will work in Reston, so commute is important but a 40 minute commute he doesn't mind.
Unless your husband is working the overnight shift or leaving the house no later than 4:30 am, there is no way he'll get from Haymarket, Gainesville, or Bristow to Reston in 40 minutes. Unless he's willing to pay for the Greenway (over $10 per day), he won't even make it from Ashburn or Leesburg in that time.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,729 times
I live in Bristow and commute to Fair Lakes (just off 66 at the Fairfax County Parkway) and leave at the height of rush hour and it generally takes 40 minutes. Depending on where exactly in Reston you're talking about, it would be at least 1 hr and if Haymarket add even more time.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM

171 posts, read 233,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Unless your husband is working the overnight shift or leaving the house no later than 4:30 am, there is no way he'll get from Haymarket, Gainesville, or Bristow to Reston in 40 minutes. Unless he's willing to pay for the Greenway (over $10 per day), he won't even make it from Ashburn or Leesburg in that time.
Agree completely. I live in Stone Ridge (eastern Aldie) and can barely make it to Sterling in 45 minutes in the height of rush hour.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM

11 posts, read 21,751 times
I think you will find slightly less congestion in the Bristow/Gainesville area then you will find in Loudoun. Haymarket, though beautiful with the views of Bull Run Mtn, is now highly congested, not just for commuting, but just for getting around. Haymarket housing prices will tend to run higher then Gainesville/Bristow.

Western PWC schools have a good reputation, though the middle schools and high schools will remain crowded for the foreseeable future. (I have lived in the area for 14 years and have 2 kids). Battlefield HS in Haymarket has an IT specialty program, Patriot HS in Nokesville has an AP program,an engineering program,and a culinary program. Due to crowding in the schools they are closed to transfer students, so if you want your kids in those programs I would target living near them. There is also Brentsville HS in Nokesville, which has the Cambridge program, it's older and not as crowded. The Gainesville area has grown a lot in the past decade (in a positive way) - roads and infrastructure, retail and dining, etc. Makes the area good for families with teens, as well as amenities for adults.

Given the ages of your kids I would look closely at the high schools and narrow your search to those neighborhoods in the schools you like best.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 AM

367 posts, read 884,984 times
I live in Leesburg, work in Sterling, it takes me 20 minutes. I leave my house at 7:10 in the morning, Leesburg to Reston would be 40 minutes, the only truw snags are Belmont and Ashburn Village lights once you get past those free and clear.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM

15 posts, read 22,790 times
Ashburn or Leesburg would be best in regards to commute. It is doubtful that you could find a single family home in Ashburn for less than 400k; however, that is a more realistic possibility in Leesburg. There are tons of really nice townhomes in either area including Sterling, Herndon, and possibly even Reston. I personally love Leesburg. Definitely worth visiting so that you can see how quaint the town truly is.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 PM

123 posts, read 243,375 times
Countryside.......20165.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
If you work in Reston DO NOT buy in PWC!!! You will regret it. There are many reasons to buy in Loudoun. Butter schools, Better resale, Better commute and it's a shorter trip into DC. Plus the subway will be here in the next year or so.

I've lived in this are for close to 50 years and have never been happier than living in Ashburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia