Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM

35 posts, read 55,737 times

Advertisements

Im from Alexandria, but live in Woodbridge now. I remember along time ago when I went to Annadale with family, (I'm 18) it was always kinda weird seeing signs in Korean symbols. What I like about Annadale is that it does feel like it has it's own feel and culture, but why do so many live In Annadale? The area is kinda run down also, not a very upscale city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,981 times
Why is it an issue? And why would that be weird? What's wrong with Asians? LOL

Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Why is it an issue? And why would that be weird? What's wrong with Asians? LOL
Can you read? I never said anything was wrong with Asians. I just find it a weird place for a Asian enclave... Most asians live in more upscale areas, Annadale looks more like Woodbridge...

Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,981 times
hummm. Yes, I can read! and what you're saying makes you sound deeply prejudiced and I am not even Asian! Yucks!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
It's true that there are a lot of Korean businesses in "inside-the-Beltway" Annandale. However, it's not necessarily true that the business owners and customers all live there. In what is already a very ethnically diverse region, Annandale may be one of the most diverse of all.

While ITB Annandale may not be the most aesthetically pleasing along Little River Turnpike, "outside the Beltway" Annandale is primarily residential and holds its own with many upper-middle class neighborhoods. If not for lack of convenient Metrorail access, it may be even more popular.

Anecdotally speaking, Centreville apparently has a growing East Asian* population as well with accompanying businesses to serve them.

Perhaps someone here has knowledge of the history of Korean/East Asian residents in Annandale and how that area became popular before the businesses sprang up?

BTW not all Koreans/East Asians are necessarily affluent.

*I discovered in a geography class not long ago that there is a difference between East Asians, who may have been referred to as "Orientals" less than a generation ago, and South Asians such as Indians, Afghans and Pakistanis.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
hummm. Yes, I can read! and what you're saying makes you sound deeply prejudiced and I am not even Asian! Yucks!
Look up the word "prejudice" online.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVirginian555 View Post
Im from Alexandria, but live in Woodbridge now. I remember along time ago when I went to Annadale with family, (I'm 18) it was always kinda weird seeing signs in Korean symbols. What I like about Annadale is that it does feel like it has it's own feel and culture, but why do so many live In Annadale? The area is kinda run down also, not a very upscale city.
I think this is a good article:

FairfaxTimes.com: Koreans make their mark in Fairfax

As noted, Annandale today is more of a place where Koreans own businesses and come to eat and relax than it is an Asian residential "enclave."

Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM

173 posts, read 497,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think this is a good article:

FairfaxTimes.com: Koreans make their mark in Fairfax

As noted, Annandale today is more of a place where Koreans own businesses and come to eat and relax than it is an Asian residential "enclave."
I find this interesting from the above article.
"According to a recent story in The Washington Post, the website of South Korea’s embassy in Washington has a section on the practicalities of gaining admittance to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, and the school also has been featured in news segments in South Korea."

Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM

136 posts, read 222,916 times
As noted above, Annandale is known more for its Korean restaurants and karaoke bars, etc. than as a place where Koreans actually live. I'm sure you can look at demographic data for the public school in FFX county, but my guess is that the schools around Centreville will have large Korean populations.

As for the attention garnished on TJ, Koreans are obsessed with education. Some people attribute it to Confucianism, but I think it has more to do with materialism and status in addition to the immigrant mentality of having your children be more successful than you. There are many Korean families where the father lives alone in Korea to make money while the mom and kids live here so they can get a U.S. education. English is a crucial skill in the Korean job market.

Regarding the original question about why Koreans would want to live in Annandale, well, as explained, they generally don't. A large percentage of Koreans are small business owners that are located in the suburbs so they don't really value proximity to the city. Instead, my general impression is that Koreans value a large modern house in a good school district over things like walkability or charming neighborhoods. Hence, they tend to live a little further outside the beltway.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,450 times
I still remember several years ago, I met a street vendor in a small town outside Seoul. He proudly showed me photos of his two children who were attending school in the US - one in Stanford and one somewhere in Texas... :-O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia