Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 18,861 times

Advertisements

Is the monthly service fee for ezPass just for Virginia drivers who buy an ezPass transponder after July 2012 or is this service fee for ALL ezPass transponders, regardless of which state you buy the transponder in?

On the VDOT website for ezPass, it states, in the FAQ, that there is a montly service fee for any transponder purchased after July 2012 but when I went to the NY website for ezPass, no such information existed, regarding a montly service fee. Hence my inquiry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Maryland has had a service fee for a year or so.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM

190 posts, read 684,020 times
It's still a state by state thing right now....Maryland was one of the first in the area to have the fee, and then VA didn't do it until the HOT lanes were nearing completion, so if you bought the new one in order to be able to get to ride the HOT lanes for free (with the 3+ people of course), then you'd start getting a monthly fee. If you already had one before July/August of last year, then you don't have to pay the fee, but once you add one, then they start charging.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 18,861 times
I don't have a transponder. I often visit my parents in NY State and regularly pass by the rest stops along the NY State Thruway that have the ezPass kiosk inside. I was thinking to buy the transponder the next time I visit my family in NY but did not know if the service fee was for all transponders or just for some states. Can an out of state resident buy a transponder in a different state without getting hooked on the monthly service fee?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshlappi View Post
Can an out of state resident buy a transponder in a different state without getting hooked on the monthly service fee?
Yes. You can sign up with whatever state you want. It's up to each state to decide if they want to accept out of state registrations, but I think most allow it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
Yes you can buy it from another state that doesn't have a fee, but if you want the FLEX box which allows you to drive for free with 3 people you need to buy it from Virginia.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Yes you can buy it from another state that doesn't have a fee, but if you want the FLEX box which allows you to drive for free with 3 people you need to buy it from Virginia.
Or Maryland. But New York doesn't have the Flex version.

If you have multiple transponders Maryland is cheaper than Virginia now.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you drive to NYC through NJ, you need to carry a second NJ transponder to get the reduced EZ Pass rate as it only applies to NJ transponders. I have three, including a Flex, but be sure to keep them in foil or in the sleeve in which they were shipped so you do not end up paying the same toll from multiple transponders.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 AM

247 posts, read 1,140,952 times
We got ours from Massachusettes - no fees at all if you keep it pre-loaded with $20 from you credit card. That was about 6 mos ago, so it might have changed.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM

254 posts, read 423,016 times
I got mine long time ago in PA. Never paid more than $6/year for the service fee. The 10-20% discounts I get on toll roads more than makes up for it along with the gas saved by not needing to stop to get/pay for a toll ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia