Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 61,545 times

Advertisements

We've moved into a new house. For various reasons, I'm considering to have a home security system. Does anyone have experience with any of the monitoring companies? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM

499 posts, read 2,158,061 times
I've used several-

Brinks
ADT
Security Solutions (was a smaller company in SC)

For me they all provided similar monitoring services. Nobody was significantly better than others when it came to monitoring. I think the differences can be found in price and what systems they want to use.

I have a MA degree in criminal justice with a concentration in security management. That's not to impress you (I prove every day a graduate degree doesn't make you a genius). I say that because I do my own evaluation of my home, consider the vulnerable spots, what areas may not need detection devices, etc. This allows me to make sure that I'm not going to be talked into devices that are not needed. It also means I may add additional sensors in an area. For example, I had a home with an exterior door that was mostly glass. If I only had a sensor on the door frame, the alarm would not be triggered if they kicked the glass in-- the door magnets would not break contact. So you need to decide if two sensors need to be added-- on the door frame and door as well as a glass break alarm. Or can a motion sensor somewhere in your home also provide coverage if an area is defeated?

Bottom line- You want to look at the layout of your home and think through it prior to a sales rep showing up.

Another option is to do it yourself with a system such as "SimpliSafe". I have heard good reviews on them but don't have my own experience with it.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,262,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP1994 View Post
We've moved into a new house. For various reasons, I'm considering to have a home security system. Does anyone have experience with any of the monitoring companies? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Alarms can be a good tool but the best thing you can do is get to know your neighbors. People who know each other well tend to look out for each other better than those who remain strangers. Follow the simple rules also with things like: Keep the paper picked up everyday. Stop delivery when you go away. Leave lights on at night-Burglars hate lights. Trim all shrubs that are blocking windows. Leave a TV or radio on, loud, when not at home. Stop delivery of mail when not there. If you don't get an alarm go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a fake alarm sign. Burglars will move to another home if they see one of these signs.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 AM

687 posts, read 1,379,036 times
I believe that 95 percent of the deterrent benefit of ADT is just the yard sign. If a burglar breaks into your home even after knowing you have an alarm system then they surely don't care about a siren going off. They are just going to grab what they can in a few minutes and then be long gone before the police arrive. All the alarm does is give you notice after the fact that a break-in has occurred. I have an alarm that is intended just to give me a warning if someone breaks in while I'm sleeping.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,738 times
I have ADT and not had any issues.... I am going to have them monitor my new home in Vermont as well. The big thing for me isn't necessarly theft, it's fire. I want my pets to have the best possible chance of survival in the event I'm not home and a fire was to start. So, that's really why I have it more so than as a crime deterrent. You can go ahead and take everything I have....I just want my animals to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia