Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,762 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'll be relocating to the NoVa area in the next year or so. Trying to do a bit of the logistical homework ahead of time.

It will just be myself needing a small studio apartment or 1 bedroom for a short tour of 2-3 years. Security is important and would require a garage for the car. Would like to use it on weekends to check out my new home!

Location for apartment is most important as I would like to use public transportation to get to work by 8 am. I am not wanting a long commute - 30 minutes MAX is all I could possibly stand. Would rather use my day constructively.

I understand there is no Metro stop by Skyline, so would have to make a bus connection of some sort. I have used the Metro on previous trips to DC area and loved it. Never utilized buses though.

Could you recommend areas to look for apartments that would meet this commute and also be safe? Where would one catch the bus to get to this area?

Thanks to all who reply. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
If you are not willing to commute more than 30 minutes, I truly hope you can find somewhere across the street from where you work. Otherwise, good luck on that dream.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Yeah, the 30 minute commute will be tough in this area. I'm not too familiar with the bus routes and schedules myself since I've only ridden it a handful of times, but the area around Skyline gets really clogged with traffic so I'd recommend staying within a five mile radius of the office. I'd recommend searching around the city of Falls Church near the East Falls Church and West Falls Church station, as well as parts of Arlington such as Ballston. These are all safe communities and Arlington offers your best selection of apartments, including finding those that have garages for tenants (usually in the form of a parking garage, not a separate personal private garage).

Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,594 times
There are lots of apartment near Skyline.
The only way to have a short commute is to live extremely close. Unfortunately, leesburg pike gets tons of traffic.
Like I said a lot of places to live practically in walking distance. If you are that close you will only need the bus or your car. Can't remember exactly where subway is in that area but you can check online.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia525 View Post
Hello!

I'll be relocating to the NoVa area in the next year or so. Trying to do a bit of the logistical homework ahead of time.

It will just be myself needing a small studio apartment or 1 bedroom for a short tour of 2-3 years. Security is important and would require a garage for the car. Would like to use it on weekends to check out my new home!

Location for apartment is most important as I would like to use public transportation to get to work by 8 am. I am not wanting a long commute - 30 minutes MAX is all I could possibly stand. Would rather use my day constructively.

I understand there is no Metro stop by Skyline, so would have to make a bus connection of some sort. I have used the Metro on previous trips to DC area and loved it. Never utilized buses though.

Could you recommend areas to look for apartments that would meet this commute and also be safe? Where would one catch the bus to get to this area?

Thanks to all who reply. I really appreciate it.
Why not the skyline city apts themselves? They have a major parking garage and you can walk to work. Park Center in Alexandria may also be a place to consider. A very short bus ride to Skyline. Both places are very safe and really convient. If you can afford them, those would be the first two places i'd go.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,762 times
Thanks all of you for the help.

I did do a bit of research on the public transportation, and unfortunately an hour looks more the norm for most possible places I have investigated. Too bad there is no Metro stop at Skyline.

I have read very bad things about the Skyline apartments. Not sure I want to live there. Anyone posting here who lives there and is happy??

Will check out Park Center. Any one have any feedback about that location in Alexandria?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Hi,

I was recently browsing real estate in Falls Church for someone on the DC board (I'm just procrastinating tackling my "to do" list). Some of the places that looked nice, under 300K (for this other person, not sure if you mentioned a budget) were:

Lakeside Plaza
The Cove
Willow Point

There is also a place called The Renaissance where a unit was just reduced to 299,900, which seems to be a big deal. Maybe someone else can comment on these, but they looked nice to me.

Anyhow, personally, I just know Arlington, McLean, and Prince William County, so I'm definitely not personally extremely knowledgeable on Falls Church - Skyline is in Falls Church, right?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Lakeside Plaza is at Bailey's Crossroads, I don't know anything about it. The area is not a favorite. The other two are tucked in between Loehman's Plaza and the Beltway. The Cove is a group of converted garden apartments. A little iffy. Willow Point is the better bet of the two...it's at least reasonably nice. There are both better and worse areas nearby...fairly convenient to Dunn Loring Metro, though.

Yes, Skyline Towers is within the Falls Church mailing address, but it's at Bailey's Crossroads also. About 5 miles from actual Falls Church...

Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Ah, OK, point taken. My next recommendation would be those slightly older high-rise complexes off of Route 7 just barely in McLean on the right hand side (you know, right after the Whole Foods on the left). There is a school right in there. This would seem like a good neighborhood with a very reasonable commute (there must be a bus going straight down route 7 - it couldn't take very long to get to Skyline). These are condos, but I'm sure you could find rentals. Again, if saganista and others could comment ...

Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Sounds like Peachtree. Near the Tysons-Pimmit Library. Marshall HS is across the street, there's only a church on the same side. If that's it, they were thought of as quite upscale when they first opened, and they are still quite nice. I believe they are still all apartments, though some places have gone back and forth to condos, so it's hard to keep track. If not, there are various other apartment complexes in that area. Up the hill between Idyllwood Towers and Marshall are several, and up over the hill on the McLean side are Dolley Madison and The Commons along Magarity Road. More along Gallows Road heading down to and past the Dunn Loring Metro.

But you're getting into 8-10 miles from Skyline territory here, hence likely more than 30 minutes, and I'm not sure that any of the apartment complexes in that area has garage parking available anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: