Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

I was considering parking in the garage at Ballston Common. I looked on their website and it said it is open 24/7. The website mentions the skywalk from there to Metro, but it does not say if it is open at night. We were going to arrive around midnight, and it was very cold, so we naturally wanted to use the skywalk. Since I couldn't find the answer on line, I thought I would ask here for future reference if anyone knows if the skywalk is open at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Sorry nobody has answered, I don't know either - but it sure is cold, don't blame you for wanting to stay undercover as much as possible. I would think it SHOULD be open though.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
I have walked through around 9 p.m. but never at midnight. I suggest phoning the front desk of the Hilton Arlington and Towers as they are also connected by the same skywalk. They should know if it is closed overnight.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I have walked through early in the morning, using the garage to park, and was able to get through to the Metro station. I would say that would have been about 6:00am or so. It would not surprise me if the skywalk were only open during Metro operating hours, give or take a few minutes on either side, but I am not certain.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,322 times
It is a public walkway, and like the skywalk in Rosslyn should be open 24/7.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
It is a public walkway, and like the skywalk in Rosslyn should be open 24/7.
I agree that it "should be" but it's so hard to find confirmation of that fact on the web.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
I've used it to cut through to the garage before at 1am ... the bathrooms in Ballston Mall close at like 11pm or so IIRC.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I agree that it "should be" but it's so hard to find confirmation of that fact on the web.
I know for a fact that all entry/exit points to the Rosslyn skywalk are open 24/7. The skywalk takes you through a number of office buildings. I always assumed the Ballston skywalk was the same.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 AM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
There are actually two skywalks between the Ballston mall parking garage and the metro. The one over Wilson that connects the mall to the NSF building, and the one that connects NSF to the Hilton (over 9th?). I have never seen them shut off other than for a fire alarm, but I can't say I've been there well into the overnight hours. Even if they did shut them down in the very overnight hours, which I doubt, then the metro wouldn't be running either.

Of course, the skywalks are not heated and not insulated, so they are almost as cold as outside many times.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
There are actually two skywalks between the Ballston mall parking garage and the metro. The one over Wilson that connects the mall to the NSF building, and the one that connects NSF to the Hilton (over 9th?). I have never seen them shut off other than for a fire alarm, but I can't say I've been there well into the overnight hours. Even if they did shut them down in the very overnight hours, which I doubt, then the metro wouldn't be running either.

Of course, the skywalks are not heated and not insulated, so they are almost as cold as outside many times.
And can be just as slippery as outside. I went over the skywalk from NSF to the metro yesterday and nearly slipped because snow blew in and melted into ice. The skywalk wont be much defense against cold conditions, trust me on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia