Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 PM

33 posts, read 44,047 times

Advertisements

But I'm wondering:

where is the bohemian/stoner population of NOVA?

I'm not into the yuppie consumerist **** that plagues the area. Are there areas that avoided this, and live with a little more purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Please don't come here.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
The only people I knew here meeting that description were NoVA natives, and they all moved to Colorado within the past 10 years or so.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohemian View Post
But I'm wondering:

I'm not into the yuppie consumerist **** that plagues the area. Are there areas that avoided this, and live with a little more purpose?
No.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
But I'm wondering:

Unfortunately, no! We lead dull, boring and purposeless lives. Move on.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
Maryland would be perfect for you.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
Quote:
But I'm wondering:

Most "stoner" types I have known over the years seemed to have significantly LESS direction and purpose to their lives than the rest of us.

That point aside, this definitely isn't the place for you. You won't be happy here.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM

136 posts, read 222,805 times
Quote:
But I'm wondering:

I think most of them live a little south of the area in Lorton. Check out the Lorton Reformatory for a thriving bohemian/stoner scene. They've managed to avoid the consumerist culture by not having any marketable skills (unless hackey sack is a marketable skill) and live their lives with the purpose of receiving parole in 8-10.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I have no useful suggestions to offer you, but I can see you're being shown the door and wanted to compliment your handle. Can't believe no one on C-D came up with "brohemian" before. Sadly, it conjures up images of microbreweries, Portland, and Winona Ryder (pre-shoplifting), not the Tysons Galleria, SAIC and Barbara Comstock.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM

33 posts, read 44,047 times
wow. thank you to those of you who answered this without being total asses.

I guess that just embodies what most of the area is about--some sense of entitlement because you were able to kiss enough ass until you made a little more money, worked more hours, and had less time for your passions and loved ones.

I followed my passions and am making 6 figures doing what I love (And don't 'work' a day in my life). I'm looking for people who do what they love, not what will get them some material object that some trashy girl in a little dress might be impressed by. people whose purpose in life is to better the lives of others.

stay classy nova
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia