Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,539,277 times

Advertisements

Think long and hard about your decision. All the above posts are true. Traffic here is horrible and it will rule your life. It takes about 3 hours to go to the beach in bad traffic - not a nice day trip. I miss the beach terribly and am sad I moved here.

My husbands coworker who works in Sprinfield and lives in Fredericksburg has to take Fridays in the summer off because it would take him 3 or more hours to get home.

For $1,000 a month up here you will get a crappy basement for one person. The cost of living is sky high in NOVA. You need to make a lot of money to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,589,812 times
Thanks for all the info ladies and gentlemen. Appears I'm a little off on a few things but then thats why I asked.
You all pretty much addressed my concerns and confirmed what I had in the back of my head.

Think I will look further South. My GF is definitely gonna have a hard time with traffic/commuting like that since shes lived in a small town her whole life.

Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,532,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Thanks for all the info ladies and gentlemen. Appears I'm a little off on a few things but then thats why I asked.
You all pretty much addressed my concerns and confirmed what I had in the back of my head.

Think I will look further South. My GF is definitely gonna have a hard time with traffic/commuting like that since shes lived in a small town her whole life.

Thanks again.
Problem is other areas won't be as likely to get you good solid career-track jobs, or the commute is going to suck just as bad.

If you guys are looking to "break into" your fields, find a place in downtown Leesburg or Frederick (and you can find 1BR/2BR places for under $1k in/near the city center of both) and just look for jobs nearby.

IMO, Leesburg and Frederick are better for generic commutes than Fredericksburg. The only downside is there's no beaches.

The advantage of places like Fredericksburg, Leesburg, Frederick, Manassas, and Annapolis is that they are close enough in to commute to the job goldmines (or go to cultural events) if you have/want to, but far enough out that you have a much lower cost of living and a separate identity from Washington DC/innermost Northern VA.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,256,656 times
What about Richmond? It's not NoVA, but it's closer to Virginia Beach (2 hrs?), mountains (1.5 to 2 hrs), cost of living is less, you'd be closer to things like concerts and festivals than if you were on the far periphery of NoVA. And if you want to do a weekend excursion to DC for museums or special events, it's not so far.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM

855 posts, read 1,177,369 times
I agree with the Richmond suggestion--decent economy, plenty of things to do, closer to the beach and mountains, and MUCH cheaper than Northern VA.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
What about Richmond? It's not NoVA, but it's closer to Virginia Beach (2 hrs?), mountains (1.5 to 2 hrs), cost of living is less, you'd be closer to things like concerts and festivals than if you were on the far periphery of NoVA. And if you want to do a weekend excursion to DC for museums or special events, it's not so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I agree with the Richmond suggestion--decent economy, plenty of things to do, closer to the beach and mountains, and MUCH cheaper than Northern VA.
Yeh I am currently leaning to the Richmond area. Busy doing my research etc.

Also checking out a few others like Roanoke Newport News and Virginia Beach. Richmond is at the top though.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Problem is other areas won't be as likely to get you good solid career-track jobs, or the commute is going to suck just as bad.

If you guys are looking to "break into" your fields, find a place in downtown Leesburg or Frederick (and you can find 1BR/2BR places for under $1k in/near the city center of both) and just look for jobs nearby.

IMO, Leesburg and Frederick are better for generic commutes than Fredericksburg. The only downside is there's no beaches.

The advantage of places like Fredericksburg, Leesburg, Frederick, Manassas, and Annapolis is that they are close enough in to commute to the job goldmines (or go to cultural events) if you have/want to, but far enough out that you have a much lower cost of living and a separate identity from Washington DC/innermost Northern VA.
Thanks!
Leesburg looks interesting too and will defs look more into it and Frederick too. Haven't really looked too much into Maryland but I suppose I should.
We really are just looking to "break into" those fields as of now. I don't really have much established experience in I.T.
So a smaller place might be a good start.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM

979 posts, read 1,784,004 times
I loved Virginia Beach - lived there for a year and still visit frequently, as I have family there. That whole Tidewater area is great for active folks - obviously not much for mountains, but there's the beach and lots of parks, paths, etc. The down side may be the job market. I found a job down there fresh out of college, but for other than entry-level type positions, you're competing with a ton of veterans (lots of military in the area). Their job market is primarily military and medical/healthcare. And Stihl (manufacturing). Of course, I'm sure there are IT jobs, as with military comes government contractors (Lockheed, GD, CSC, etc.). It's a lower cost of living than NOVA as well. I'd just look into the job market a bit more.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I loved Virginia Beach - lived there for a year and still visit frequently, as I have family there. That whole Tidewater area is great for active folks - obviously not much for mountains, but there's the beach and lots of parks, paths, etc. The down side may be the job market. I found a job down there fresh out of college, but for other than entry-level type positions, you're competing with a ton of veterans (lots of military in the area). Their job market is primarily military and medical/healthcare. And Stihl (manufacturing). Of course, I'm sure there are IT jobs, as with military comes government contractors (Lockheed, GD, CSC, etc.). It's a lower cost of living than NOVA as well. I'd just look into the job market a bit more.
Thanks jillybean720.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,132,710 times
Interesting. In the 4 years I lived in Fairfax, the only beaches I went to I either drove for 3+ hours to get there or flew there. I flew back to the west coast to go ski/board.

The only advantage NoVa has in this area is there are 3 airports nearby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia