Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM

248 posts, read 700,814 times

Advertisements

Today was the third time I've seen someone run a red light at this intersection. (West ox road & Fair lakes Pkwy)

Oh when I mean run red light, I mean somebody crosses the line even two or more seconds after it changes to red. If by accident you cross the line a fraction of a second after it changes to red with intention of beating the yellow, fine. There is usually like a two or three second time period from the moment the light changes to red to the moment the next in line gets the green light.

W Ox Rd & Fair Lakes Pkwy, Sully, Fairfax, Virginia 22033 - Google Maps

The first time, I was turning left from fair lakes into west ox and I had the green arrow. I would have been hit had I not hesitated wondering why the explorer to my left suddenly stopped turning. I was in front of the line for turning left. There was someone speeding in my direction!

The second time, I was on foot and I saw someone run that red light again after the red light was up for like 2 seconds.

The third time, same situation as the first except I was not first in line but still had the green arrow when she ran through the red.

In all three situations, the driver ran the red light going straight.

Please, take a breath, RELAX, or someone is going to get hurt!!!! Or at least keep your eyes pointed forward. (not sure which one it is....)

Last edited by tsuric; 11-02-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
The irony is something on here sometimes. There's a thread above this one asking if anyone ever gets warnings from the police. Of course they do but people are already ranting about revenue generation" on there. Some just don't see it as a safety issue. Take law enforcement away for 30 days and people running red lights and speeding at will becomes the norm.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,581 times
Until law enforcement actually enforces traffic law across the board, people have good reason to believe it's a revenue scam.

I am tired of the way a majority of people drive and behave here. It won't change unless LE does something about it.

(I have had my driver license for over 20 years with ZERO speeding ticket or traffic infraction)

Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
I used to live in spitting distance of that intersection. No shortage of accidents there.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Another bad habit people around here have is not stopping at every intersection when traffic lights are out. There seems to be some misperception that if you're on the main road (like route 1) you can just go through without stopping. This becomes evident after major storms when the power goes out.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Another bad habit people around here have is not stopping at every intersection when traffic lights are out. There seems to be some misperception that if you're on the main road (like route 1) you can just go through without stopping. This becomes evident after major storms when the power goes out.
That's true, and in fact I've nearly been rear-ended many times attempting to follow the rules, in exactly this situation. Plenty of times I've had to get back on the gas and cautiously continue, because the person behind me was tailgaiting me with no intention of stopping.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 AM

518 posts, read 925,060 times
This may have been one of the reasons that when traffic lights are out on Rte 1 in FFX they block off the turn lanes and you can only turn right off of Rte 1.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,267 times
I've driven thru that intersection at least 1,000 times w/no problems. That being said, it's a fairly wide intersection, and could benefit from longer yellows & overlapping reds. Nah, that won't raise any $$$. Put a camera in & shorten the yellow = PROFIT!!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
I justed note this the other day, several drivers running a red.

I think we need better education and enforcement.

Im sure some people might say that until drivers can learn to obey the law, cars do not belong on our roads. I find that POV extreme. The majority of drivers should not be penalized for the infractions of a few - and while its possible there are some kinds of infractions (like driving a couple of MPH over the speed limit) that most drivers engage in, we should sensibly distinguish between those and genuinely dangerous infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia