Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times

Advertisements

hadnt been into it (though had visiting Whole Foods) in years. I remembered it as a couple of big office buildings, the courthouse, and some big apt buildings. I biked recently from Annandale to Old Town, and came up from Eisenhower Ave to Duke through Carlyle - I was amazed at the kind of show piece neo-urbanist development it has become - looked absolutely lovely.

I was quite impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,109 times
The buildup started I'd say around 2003. I worked on John Carlyle back then, at a building on the corner of George's Lane. Back then, the Whole Foods was a small shopping center (with parking!) and a great pizza place called Paisano's. There was even a payphone. I don't recall what the PTO buildings were at the time. Anyway, I think they finished the buildout around 2006 or so.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The buildup started I'd say around 2003. I worked on John Carlyle back then, at a building on the corner of George's Lane. Back then, the Whole Foods was a small shopping center (with parking!) and a great pizza place called Paisano's. There was even a payphone. I don't recall what the PTO buildings were at the time. Anyway, I think they finished the buildout around 2006 or so.

I ate at Paisono's in the 1990s. I remember it as being alright. I walked from an office building north of Duke, and the parking lot did not add to the experience.

Most of the area was an old Norfolk Southern rail yard. It seems like there's a lot more there now than there was just around 2005 or 2006, but I don't recall the last time I was there.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM

939 posts, read 1,894,208 times
The infrastructure is in place to make the Carlyle area very nice, but what it's missing is restaurants and retail (probably because people can just walk to King Street). Most of the eateries close down after 4 because they cater to an office crowd. Other than that, they did an excellent job with architecture to ensure it blends with the rest of Old Town. There must be some requirement that all of the buildings are built with red Brick, and all of the streets and everything are laid out in a very pedestrian friendly manner. It certainly feels upscale, it would just be nice to have a few more restaurants or bars actually within it so you didn't have to walk to the Eisenhower area or King Street.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM

108 posts, read 210,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
hadnt been into it (though had visiting Whole Foods) in years. I remembered it as a couple of big office buildings, the courthouse, and some big apt buildings. I biked recently from Annandale to Old Town, and came up from Eisenhower Ave to Duke through Carlyle - I was amazed at the kind of show piece neo-urbanist development it has become - looked absolutely lovely.

I was quite impressed.
Carlyle has been under construction and development since the late 1990s. I think a major turning point was reached when the U.S. Patent Office was finished, and some 9,000 workers relocated into the area from Crystal City. If memory serves, Whole Foods moved from Annandale in late 2005. Residential units have been under constant construction since 2004. Now, most of the blocks north of Eisenhower have been filled in.

The next huge stage of construction will occur south of Eisenhower between the Metro Station and the cemetery next to Holland. I believe the tallest skyscraper in Virginia, or at least in northern Virginia, is planned for one of these sites.

I'm a fan of Carlyle. I think the development was adequately integrated into Old Town and existing transportation infrastructure. Aesthetically, the development might be a little too brick-friendly, but that's subjective opinion. Enough people have moved into Carlyle that it truly has matured into a viable 24/7 neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM

If anyone wants to read through the urban planner's guidebook to Carlyle (Eisenhower East), there's a great resource on Alexandria's locality website: http://www.alexandriava.gov/uploaded...lyle/EESAP.pdf

Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Prime View Post
Carlyle has been under construction and development since the late 1990s. I think a major turning point was reached when the U.S. Patent Office was finished, and some 9,000 workers relocated into the area from Crystal City. If memory serves, Whole Foods moved from Annandale in late 2005. Residential units have been under constant construction since 2004. Now, most of the blocks north of Eisenhower have been filled in.

The next huge stage of construction will occur south of Eisenhower between the Metro Station and the cemetery next to Holland. I believe the tallest skyscraper in Virginia, or at least in northern Virginia, is planned for one of these sites.

I'm a fan of Carlyle. I think the development was adequately integrated into Old Town and existing transportation infrastructure. Aesthetically, the development might be a little too brick-friendly, but that's subjective opinion. Enough people have moved into Carlyle that it truly has matured into a viable 24/7 neighborhood.
Any info on the tallest building?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM

108 posts, read 210,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Any info on the tallest building?
So, after posting my previous post, I went online to get that very information.

Search "Hoffman Town Center" and you'll get some information about a proposed 396-foot building for an area adjacent to the Eisenhower Metro station. This is the building I remember hearing about; however, it looks like those plans might have been revised. After a cursory glance at the development's official website, I don't see a building at that height identified, although there are some 24-story residential towers planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia