Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,156,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Even with all those hundreds of millons Chinese peasants they have higher average IQs than Western Europeans? I did not know that. What are the numbers? I didn't think there was any difference in IQ between the races.
That's right. With almost all countries there is strong correlations between economic development and IQ, with the urban, affluent population having higher ones than rural, poor ones. The exceptions are East Asian countries where IQ numbers are fairly stable across economic development levels.

And it's not really based on "race," but geographic origin. In any case, here is the map of average IQ distribution by country:

Deep red is 65 or below; deep blue is 105 or above. US and Western Europe fall in the 95-105 range.

And IQ bell curve for each major ethnic group in the US:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Thats funny. Thanks for the laugh. You think immigrants from Africa are going to surpass american born Chinese academically. I know many Chinese families in fairfax that start prepping their kids to go to TJ as early as 4. LMAO God luck with competing against that with single parent household or low income.
What he may be citing is the fact that immigrants from Africa have higher high school graduation rates and possibly university graduation rates than any other immigrant group, including those from Asia. See:

African immigrants out-graduate American Caucasians and Asians - Chicago Public Education | Examiner.com

Of course, how this relates to overall academic excellence is a big question. After all, the group with highest graduation rate among Asians is that from Mongolia (followed by Kuwaitis) and Mongolians and Kuwaitis are not exactly powerhouse groups academically, notwithstanding their high graduation rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post
They can't get the money to pay two extra salaries a year?... are you kidding me?... I know is public school but come on...
Two extra salaries, healthcare costs, pensions and other benefits TIMES every single school? If you do the math, it is hardly "no extra cost" or even maginal. It usually means cutting two existing sets of salaries, etc. Which would you cut? Math teachers? English teachers? Music program? Sports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,242,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Thats funny. Thanks for the laugh. You think immigrants from Africa are going to surpass american born Chinese academically.
Legal immigrants are supposed to be culled through in order that we not bring someone here who will be a burden to society. That means if we aren't seeing the best and brightest another country has to offer, we are at least seeing above the average bear. So yeah, you might see it.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:10 PM

53 posts, read 64,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
It would be close to $22 Million.

Not Happening.

http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/docume...tailSheets.pdf

The FY 2012 budget currently funds 144.5 positions for psychologists at $11,309,640 (or $78,267 per FTE).

There are 139 elementary schools in FCPS.

2 psychologists x 139 schools = 278 psychologists x $78,267 = $21,758,226

And I did not include middle schools.
Although 2 psychologists per school might be too much for its intended purpose, if each school has say 500 students:

139 schools x 500 students = 69,500 students

22 million dollars / 69,500 students = $317 per student per year... and the work of a psychologist is not only to screen kids, they can do many other things for the better future of our children...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:13 PM

53 posts, read 64,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Have you not been a part of public schools before moving here? They haven't given raises for years, and yet they're supposed to create additional positions? (That would MAYBE identify a dozen kids at each school who are exceptional?)

I'm truly not trying to be snarky, but if you're surprised that it would be difficult to add a psychologist to every single school, public school is going to be a major culture shock. And FCPS is obviously one of the better public school systems out there.
No. We have never been part of the public system before. But if the government cannot finance something like this then we are never getting out of the number 24 spot in education...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,330,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Legal immigrants are supposed to be culled through in order that we not bring someone here who will be a burden to society. That means if we aren't seeing the best and brightest another country has to offer, we are at least seeing above the average bear. So yeah, you might see it.
But I think what ILD is saying is that East Asians are an intellectually superior race. Shockley once made that claim about whites but apparently he was wrong according to ILD's charts.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,223,368 times
Let's be careful not rely on stereotypes in this forum, whether positive or negative, or whether based on opinion or references.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,330,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Deep red is 65 or below; deep blue is 105 or above. US and Western Europe fall in the 95-105 range.
The big revelation is the Italians are smarter than the French and Germans. Not sure how to explain that.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
But I think what ILD is saying is that East Asians are an intellectually superior race. Shockley once made that claim about whites but apparently he was wrong according to ILD's charts.
Geez, people, why do y'all have to read more into what I write.

I am simply summarizing the data found by scientists. East Asians, on average, have higher IQ than other ethnic groups. That's just a fact. When one breaks that down further, East Asians have higher visuospatial IQ than verbal IQ while with Jews the numbers flip (higher verbal IQ than visuospatial IQ).

Furthermore, East Asians are not a "race" as defined by the US Census Bureau. I don't particularly care for using the term "race" in these kinds of discussions because, for me, race is a somewhat nebulous, politically-loaded term with a host of definitional problems. Instead, I prefer to use more focused geographic origins.

You might want to read this:

Race differences in average IQ are largely genetic (genetic components of IQ differences among different groups.)

Genes Tied To IQ, Brain Size In UCLA ENIGMA Study
(And, yes, East Asians have the largest average brain size.)

IQ differences in races - how it happened (a great deal of possible explanations of why East Asians may have evolved their particular set of IQ traits.)

Again, to be "intellectually superior" requires more than just high IQ, which is the building block, the raw material if you will.

For the third time, the greatest predictor of a pupil's academic success is parental involvement. However, when one discusses populations groups in the aggregate (e.g. "East Asians"), the law of probabilities applies as the sample size increases.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,328,905 times
How those IQs are calculated are in many ways about as legitimate of a measure as Libor rates. It is completely dependent on what you believe measures smartness.

Let me say one thing to point this out, there are a lot of book smart people in this country that have NO idea how to build something as simple as a dual pulley system. There are a lot of "technical minded" design and calculating types who have no idea what they are calculating, they are going through motions like a muscle memory exercise that they have mastered through thousands of hours of practice. When confronted with simple logic problems they can freeze up, when confronted with using not only calculation but conceptual design they falter.

I have met many "less intelligent" immigrants that I would take over a Phd in philosophy any day when trying to figure out an insitu solution to an in field problem.

Intelligence is in the eye of the census maker

Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The big revelation is the Italians are smarter than the French and Germans. Not sure how to explain that.
And Canadians have higher average IQ than we do, notwithstanding our country's higher average income, greater military capability, more dominant geopolitical power, etc.

Also, don't forget the map doesn't show regional differences within each country. I would be willing to bet money that average IQ in northern Italy is higher than that in Naples/Sicily -- again, please remember that there is high correlations between economic development and IQ (except for East Asians).

There is this thing called the Flynn Effect -- a measurable increase in IQ across parts of the world, likely due to increased economic development and all the attendant goodies (better healthcare, nutrition, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia